Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2015 12:29:32 AM EDT
So I had a 10/22 that saw almost zero use taking up space, so I did the reasonable thing and traded it off to a new Mossberg 590A1. Brought it home and cleaned it up a tad.

1st impression: She's heavy, noticeably heavy. This is the 20", 9-shot model btw. Compared it my 18.5" 500, this thing feels much more substantial. It's also the model with ghost ring sights, which I like quite a bit.

At the Range: Picked up 100 rnds of Federal target load, 15 Remington Sluggers, and some Winchester 00 Buck. Ran the 100 target loads first to break it in. Also, I ran this thing pretty hard, no babying it in any way. Not a single issue, never got too hot, hung up, no FTF or FT Feeds. Got better every shot. And the weight? Loved it when actually on the gun. The light dram target loads were a joke. I could get back on target very quick, which I attribute to the weight and sight set up. My girlfriend (who hates shotguns) actually had a bigs smile on her face after a few goes with the 590. First time she ever enjoyed getting to know how the gun functioned (we live together and I familiarize her with everything I own just in case).

With the light stuff out if the way, it was time for some high brass fun. Someone had put a 2 liter bottle vertical on a stick about 60 yards out, slightly up a bank at the range. First round could not of been closer (combat effective no doubt) and the second turned it inside out. Again, very pleased with the sights out of the box. I suspect the slug performance to only improve. 00 Buck did just as good. Nice, consistent patterns, tight up close, well placed down range to cover an effective area without being too wild.

Overall: Very happy with this gun. LOP is a little long for the GF, and I don't love the comb/grip. Gonna add some magpul goodies and a light. I'll post pics, and an update on the mods when I get around to it. If you've ever wanted one of these, do it!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree.  I love mine.

I carried one in the trunk for years at work - had my own in my Jeep as a truck gun for a long time.

Now I have one hanging in the bedroom behind the door as my HD gun.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Great guns.  I'm glad you like it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 590 and a 590A1, love em both, both with ghost rings.  Just got a 930 SPX and it is turning out to be amazing as well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top