Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 9:09:50 PM EST
I am curious about the Scattergun Technolgy 870 pre and post Wilson Combat... Were (are) the Pre Wilson 870's a better weapon than the current offerings from Wilson? Were the actions and overall product better, as in smoother actions and more attention to detail... I only ask as my impression is that the Pre Wilsons seem to be more desirable from posts that I have seen...

How do the current Wilson/Scattergun 870's compare to Vang Comps offerings? Any forums or other postings that discuss the tactical shotgun?

Thanks!
Dave
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:48:07 PM EST
See the tactical shotgun forum over at Shotgun World
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:09:45 PM EST
I had a Nashville(pre-Wilson) TR870 and it was better than the Wilson version. All Wilson is doing is selling a dolled up Express and price it even higher than a Police as a base gun. You can buy a Police and add the parts and it will be cheaper than the Express from Wilson. Mine was built on a Police Magnum, and there is a difference. On Vang Comps site he lists some of the differences, and he sell both. If you work a Police side by sid ewith an Express you will feel the difference.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:34:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By TACO:
I had a Nashville(pre-Wilson) TR870 and it was better than the Wilson version. All Wilson is doing is selling a dolled up Express and price it even higher than a Police as a base gun. You can buy a Police and add the parts and it will be cheaper than the Express from Wilson. Mine was built on a Police Magnum, and there is a difference. On Vang Comps site he lists some of the differences, and he sell both. If you work a Police side by sid ewith an Express you will feel the difference.

I believe after the work is completed,refinish,sites,springs, extension tubes etc etc.There should be no appreciable difference between the police and express shotguns other than the stamping,which incidently is covered up by a sidesaddle.I was told another difference is some extra finishing on the Police model,on the inside machining.but after use the express should smooth out as parts wear in.If you read what they actually do to the shotguns,(read alot of work/upgrades etc)it would probably just be wasteful for them to buy Police guns as a starting platform IMHO.I'm looking forward to getting my home defense model back after the retro fit.Hopefully,I'm impressed with the updated results.I post when I get it back in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:34:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 2:35:41 PM EST by Steelcore]
[quote="Lex Talio"]I am somewhat troubled with the posts on the Remington Express Shotguns. Is it possible that Express shotguns can be looked at by shooters/hunters and have such an opposite opinion as to its quality?
With that in mind....Let's take a moment to look at the Remington assembly line. All 870 recievers are the same as they come from the forging station and through the mill room. Same metal and heat treatment. All parts come from the same parts bins. All barrels leave the barrel section, with ribs and tube threading, etc. Each of these components then move to inventory. As production sheets come down, the components then move to the two finishing sections. The Wingmasters move into the plant's section where polishing of recievers, barrels, and bolts take place. Here wood stocks, from their sections, are added and the bluing has taken place. The Express guns have been switched into the section where they are matte finished, reciever and barrel, and the bolts are blackened. At this point the basic machining has been the same, the only difference is cosmetic. It should be remembered that all recievers and barrels were made on the same machines. All choke tubes are the same also. All basic parts come from the same parts bins.
While we all have various tastes for firearms finishing, we must realize that this has nothing to do with the working quality of the firearms component parts. The return rates, to the factory, are no different between he Wingmaster and Express.
I am not pushing the Express guns over any other model or make......The shooter/hunter should chose the firearm that he likes. Retail dealers, who can not compete with the Express pricing, continue to put out absurd notions about the Express...we all have heard them. Bottom line is...You the shooter must sort through all this and decide what is fact or fiction........James

Just thought I would add,After doing some research on the 870 express Police models,I came to the shotgun world forums.I took a quote from a thread discussing 870 express quality etc.The above was posted my the moderator there.Basically the biggest difference is some finishing,other than that the two guns are the same.I would say building the Wilson Combat shotguns on a more expensive platform than the express would be a waste of money.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:01:10 PM EST

How do the current Wilson/Scattergun 870's compare to Vang Comps offerings?
Thanks!
Dave

Dave,
The Wilson 870's looks real nice and functions very well. I bought a Remington 870 Wingmaster at a gun show cheap..real cheap. I ordered a Hogue 12 inch LOP stock, ordered a Vang Comp system
barrel and Mag extention from Hans.. Also added a Surefire. I know have a super nice 870 that kicks a.. The Vang Comp Barrel is real nice, less recoil and super groups with 00 buck at 25 yards. I found it less money to build one myself. I also sent the receiver to Remmington for any upgrades, which they did and charged me only 70.00 dollars. The Vang comp system does make a difference. BTW Hans threw in a Hi-Viz follower, new spring and also a metal follower for the magazine.

Phil

Phil
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:50:36 PM EST
Thanks for everyones input! I was (wrongly) under the impression that Scattergun Tech. did things like smooth up the action etc on there shotguns rather than just bolting on parts... I think I will be looking for an 870 and go the route that Phil did...

Thanks again!
Dave
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:31:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
Thanks for everyones input! I was (wrongly) under the impression that Scattergun Tech. did things like smooth up the action etc on there shotguns rather than just bolting on parts... I think I will be looking for an 870 and go the route that Phil did...

Thanks again!
Dave

Actually firing several hundred rounds will slick up your action.The Armor-Tuff finish that Wilson applies should also have a slick effect on the action.The do-it-yourself issue depends on what you want in the gun,and what you can do yourself.I tried doing Gun-kote myself,after many hours,and over 40.00 for the gun-kote,shipping,degreaser etc.The whole thing was a disaster for me,no need for the details.I had a 870 home defense express,so the extension tube was already on.I put on the combat sling,tactical shell holder on the receiver,Wilson follower, spring.I wanted a better finish and I couldn't shoot well with the stock bead sight.I decided to send it into Wilson for the Trak-lock sights,armor-tuff,Remington Steel package.Now with the shipping and upgrade cost added to my gun cost,It would have been just as well for me to buy one already set-up direct out the door.Live and learn I guess.For you, the answer to the question may be different than for me.Take care
Top Top