Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 7:59:56 PM EDT
First off I have very limited experience with NVDs.  I played with some goggles in the Army about 8 years ago during a wargame.  I remember how amazing the night sky looked in Barstow.  That is my reference point with NVDs.  A couple of days with goggles from whatever generation was in service at the time.  I had no depth perception playing co-pilot in a Humvee, and I didn't go running off on foot either.

Fast forward to now:  There was an incident near home where it would have been nice to see in the dark (gunshots in suburbia at 4am, you don't exactly flip on the porchlights and ask who's out there.  After reading the majority of the NV Discussion Thread, and the FAQ, I have a question or two about accessories for the various models and generations.  I will confess that the stuff on re-potting tubes was skipped... it was beyond my skillset and I don't need to tinker with 1000 to 3500 dollar Night Vision.  I'm trying to budget 2000 for everything necessary, so it looks like a Gen 2+ D-300 is what I can afford.

My first question is about mounting.  I like the idea of mounting a monocular to a bike helmet, but I'm also considering weapon mounts.  I have an EOTech 552D1 on a LaRue riser.  Does the Larue mount for the PVS-14 work with the D-300 or any other Gen 2+ monocular on the market.  (the GT14 is the only other Gen 2+ near my budget)

About the magnification lenses, how does the 3x attach to the objective of the D-300?  I don't need to ID varmints across state lines just the bastages who break into cars on my street.    So I'd like to have optional zoom lenses.  I am still considering the GT14 Gen2 SHP but I would have to save for longer.  

Mainly I'm trying to remember the saying buy once, cry once.  Thank You all in advance for your insight.

-Tom

(Edited to finish train of thought about the GT14)
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If you will IM me your phone # I will tell your the set up you can get for what your trying to do.  I just got a MINI gen 3 and man can tell you if your at $2000 already save alittle more for the Gen 3 stuff.  I had also used NV in the Army in 95' man has it come a long ways.  Anyway give me your # I'm in Texas and would be glad to help you.  I wish I had someone to talk with aboiut real world experience when I was shopping for some,  would have saved me countless hours of research.  However; everyone was very helpful just what helped me make my mind up was a member here giving me their # and me calling and picking his brain.  Within 2 days I sent in my order, that's after over 6 monthes research!!  You know who you are and Thanks again.  I am NOW addicted!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you will IM me your phone # I will tell your the set up you can get for what your trying to do.  I just got a MINI gen 3 and man can tell you if your at $2000 already save alittle more for the Gen 3 stuff.  I had also used NV in the Army in 95' man has it come a long ways.  Anyway give me your # I'm in Texas and would be glad to help you.  I wish I had someone to talk with aboiut real world experience when I was shopping for some,  would have saved me countless hours of research.  However; everyone was very helpful just what helped me make my mind up was a member here giving me their # and me calling and picking his brain.  Within 2 days I sent in my order, that's after over 6 monthes research!!  You know who you are and Thanks again.  I am NOW addicted!!!

Whatever you do, do not get into IR lasers then.  Addiction is a powerful thing
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IM Sent on info for the D-300's.

Just for the record, the GT14's in a Gen 2 SHP are no longer available.

I knew I should not have waited
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#6]
$2,000 will get you a really nice used pair of PVS7's.... I've done it three times now. The cheapest I ever got a set was $1400, right here in the EE.  I know everyone wants newer/mo'better/whatever, but most people take care of their NVD's and if you get a functional used unit it should stay that way for a long, long time.

I've brought buying used up here a few times and it gets glossed over it seems like.. I mean, if it's milspec and works when you get it, why not let someone else write a check his asshole can't cash so you can scoop them up cheap? So what if they have 3 hours of playing in someone's backyard...

I'm just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top