Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/12/2005 1:36:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 1:37:11 PM EDT by XeroSygnal]
I've been planning on having a G-3K built for some time now but I've still got a few questions I was hoping people might have answers for. I'd like to have it built up with the G-3K's 12.5" barrel with a long enough flash-hider on it to bring it to 16". These are the parts that I currently have:

- FMP-built G-3 parts kit (purchased from FAC about 4 years ago)
- HK33/93 handguard
- FMP/SW3 receiver
- US-built plastic trigger housing (from a limited number built couple of years ago by someone on forums)
- US-made hammer (FAC)
- US-made disconnector (FAC)
- US-made cocking handle (FAC)

So, if I'm correct, I currently have 5 US-made parts (receiver, trigger-housing/lower, hammer, disconnector, cocking-handle) and a US-made flash hider will make 6. And it's my understanding that using the plastic trigger-housing eliminates one of the parts on the 922r list. Given this... do I need any more US parts? I still need a couple of other parts as well...

Collapsible buttstock: Is the POF one any good or should I stick with H&K only for this? If so, then where's a good place to buy an H&K stock?

Cocking tube: I think the current one is the non-tapered and it's pretty beat up so I'd like to replace it with a new tapered one. Where's a good place to get one?

Paddle mag release: Again... where's a good place to get one?

If there's anything I've forgotten then please let me know. I've been sitting on this build for so long now and just want to get it moving again.

I'll definitely have a smith build this up, so if anyone has any favorite HK-build smiths they'd like to recommend then please feel free to. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 1:56:40 PM EDT by Darkest2000]

Originally Posted By XeroSygnal:
Collapsible buttstock: Is the POF one any good or should I stick with H&K only for this? If so, then where's a good place to buy an H&K stock?

POF stocks should work just as good, but may not look as nice as a real German made stock.

Cocking tube: I think the current one is the non-tapered and it's pretty beat up so I'd like to replace it with a new tapered one. Where's a good place to get one?

Both POF and JLD sells brand new tapered cocking tubes. I would suggest you buy from JLD however, because theirs look a lot nicer, and is actually cheaper. POF tubes will function the same but the worksmanship is clearly not as good, and the tapering is not as "distinct".

Paddle mag release: Again... where's a good place to get one?

Again...POF. JLD also sells them...again.

I'll definitely have a smith build this up, so if anyone has any favorite HK-build smiths they'd like to recommend then please feel free to. Thanks.

Try Jayson at www.investmentgradefirearms.com
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:27:46 PM EDT
+1

Only thing I'd add is robert RTG has retractable stocks right now. Old style with the convex butt, newer style with the meat cleaver butt for $220, and new meat cleavers for $300.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:13:03 PM EDT

Great. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll check out JLD and POF. And I'll look into IGF for the build.

Kletzenklueffer: Who's "Robert RTG"? He have a website? And what's the "meat cleaver" butt? Don't think I've seen that one. Any pics? Thanks again.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 5:17:36 PM EDT by Darkest2000]

Originally Posted By XeroSygnal:
Great. Thanks for the quick replies. I'll check out JLD and POF. And I'll look into IGF for the build.

Kletzenklueffer: Who's "Robert RTG"? He have a website? And what's the "meat cleaver" butt? Don't think I've seen that one. Any pics? Thanks again.

Robert RTG sells a lot of HK military surplus parts.

His website is:
www.robertrtg.com

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:46:16 PM EDT

Thanks again. Just bookmarked his site. Last thing I need to find is I think that the safety selector for the platic lower is different than the one for the metal lower. So I'm trying to locate one of those as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:05:48 PM EDT
Go with JLD for the G3K cocking tube, since they're already cut to the proper length. Gordon Miller has G3K locking pieces. He posts on sturmgewehr.com
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:06:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CaptainKevinDarling:
Go with JLD for the G3K cocking tube, since they're already cut to the proper length.

Are you referring to the PTR-91K Cocking Tube for 16" Barrel Carbine as being the same length
as the HKG3K unit?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:17:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By edman99:

Originally Posted By CaptainKevinDarling:
Go with JLD for the G3K cocking tube, since they're already cut to the proper length.

Are you referring to the PTR-91K Cocking Tube for 16" Barrel Carbine as being the same length
as the HKG3K unit?

I am.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:34:38 AM EDT

Thinking of making a change in plans for this build. I'll stick with the collapsible stock, but might go with a full-length barrel so it'll be a G3A4 configuration if I understand correctly. The G-3K builds are just so expensive. And I imagine that .308 must lose a decent amount of velocity coming out of a 12.5" barrel.

I did wind up ordering my stock and a safety/selector for a plastic lower from Robert RTG. Just need to order a cocking tube and paddle mag release from JLD and I should be all set.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:51:54 AM EDT
If you don't mind me asking, what were the most expensive things?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:05:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edman99:
If you don't mind me asking, what were the most expensive things?

You mean from the build? From what I've seen, a standard build is in the $300 to $400 range. But the G-3K builds (from a parts kit) seem to double that price. I realize that there's a lot of extra work involved, so it's understandable. Just outside my price range at the moment. Figure if I really want a G-3K build later on I could then have a standard G-3 converted to a K.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:47:57 AM EDT
if you go with the PTR front end it should not cost much more in parts and the only extra labor will be cutting your barrel to 12.5 and permanently attatching a long vortex or other hider.
Teh PTR K cocking tube and fore end are already the correct length so the smith you use will not have to fabricate for them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:00:11 AM EDT
I was thinking along the same lines swatbwana.

Buying the right parts upfront would make extra shop time making them unnecessary
and wondered why the double costs of the build.

Top Top