Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2002 10:59:28 AM EDT
I need some help here. I am a "active duty" Army Officer, in the process of being assigned to a Army Reserve Unit on Staten Island. This particular unit is located at the Coast Guard Installation at Ft Wadsworth. This is a 2-3 year assignment and I would like to at least bring my toys with me even if I can't shoot them.

I understand that NYC, to include the 5 Borroughs, has a assault rifle and high capacity magazine ban. Based on the information given above I would appreciate some advise and/or opinions, regarding the following questions.

1. Are there any exceptions to NYC's ban on privately owned AR's, such as military or police serving in other jurisdictions, but living in NYC? (Even Calfornia makes exception for Active Duty military) I would think that if I stored my weapons in a military arms room or in government housing on a federal installation this would be an exception to the city statute.

2. Could anyone provide a weblink to the city statute that outlines the AR ban to include a point of contact/number/email address within the city adminstration that I could speak with/write.

3. If there are no exceptions to the AR ban, is there a gun shop or range outside of NYC (near Staten Island) that provides weapons storage services. There are a number of these here in Virginia.

4. Are there additional laws banning/restricting/regulating private ownership of handguns? If yes,  please explain. This maybe a pipedream, but is there any hope of a CCW permit in NY/NYC.

As much as I would hate to, I may have to live outside of NYC and commute to work, but that would be a shame as there is government housing right on the Coast Guard Station.

I would appreciate any advice, especially from any NYPD officer or a NYC lawyer.

Regards from Virginia
Bladerunner

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel bad for you man. I assume you have to live at this base, or within close proximity. NY state will allow such toys, but NJ will not.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't help you with the legal advice, but I have a suggestion if all else fails.  There are many members of this board that live in NY.  Maybe if you could find a member you trust to store them for you - whether they be law enforcement or outside the city...  

While leaving guns stored with someone CAN cause problems, I do know people that I have left mine with while on vacation, etc. and vice-versa.  Find the right person and they will probably care for them better than you.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was AD (88-92), I would make frequent return trips home to Detroit.  Fortunately, Detroit is the Northwest hub, so it was a short hop to London-Heathrow and onto Detroit.  However, I've HEARD of cases where flights were scheduled or diverted through NYC, and soldier's firearms were being confiscated at the terminal.  I can't verify these stories, but the MPs I worked with all flew through NYC and they confirmed the "tales."  What I do know is that NYC is VERY UNFRIENDLY towards firearms of any type (unless you're a Congress-critter), so take care and don't take any chances.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

1. Are there any exceptions to NYC's ban on privately owned AR's, such as military or police serving in other jurisdictions, but living in NYC? (Even Calfornia makes exception for Active Duty military) I would think that if I stored my weapons in a military arms room or in government housing on a federal installation this would be an exception to the city statute.

Cops can have ar's in their homes. I would say that mill can have ar's on the base.

2. Could anyone provide a weblink to the city statute that outlines the AR ban to include a point of contact/number/email address within the city adminstration that I could speak with/write.

I would talk to Larry Goodson he does paperwork for people getting rifle and pistol permits. Give me a little bit and I will dig up his phone number for you(I have to call home as I am in TN right now at school). He knows the laws better than anyone. Even the nra has some stuff wrong on their site.

3. If there are no exceptions to the AR ban, is there a gun shop or range outside of NYC (near Staten Island) that provides weapons storage services. There are a number of these here in Virginia.

I would just make friends with somebody outside of the city. I just keep my stuff (when it is not at school) with my grandmother who is not in nyc. I have never seen any kind of storage place.

4. Are there additional laws banning/restricting/regulating private ownership of handguns? If yes,  please explain. This maybe a pipedream, but is there any hope of a CCW permit in NY/NYC.

heheheh CCW ....pipe dream you better call the Mario bros for that pipe. No chance in hell. You better work in the south bronx as a diamond dealer. once again call larry goodson to get the info on pistols. The laws are a bit convoluted. You have to file all kinds of paper work as well as go to interviews.

As much as I would hate to, I may have to live outside of NYC and commute to work, but that would be a shame as there is government housing right on the Coast Guard Station.

I would do this. Live in lower westchester and take amtrack. It will be a bit of a bitch but tons of people do it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Shadow Blade, RomaRana

Thanks to you both for the advise.

RomaRana, I would appreciate a number for your" "friend" Larry Goodson. I have quite a bit of time to sort this out. I have friends and neighbors here in Virginia to leave my stuff with for awhile, even a couple of commercial firearms storage places here as well.

However, I would like to have my stuff with me in the end.

Thanks
Bladerunner
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok here it is

1. There are NO exceptions for police or military for owning personal ar-15's . I know this for a fact. You can have aa mini-14 though

2. You can have handguns but you must get a permit first takes 4-6 months should be no problem as they are fairly easy to get ( no carry however )

3. As far as hi cap mags I believe there is no law against it as long as the gun is legal , for example if you have a Glock 19 with a pre-ban 15 rd mag.

Try calling the NYPD Pistol Permit section , they will give all the info amd mail you the laws and applications.
Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
No rifle mags over 5 rounds and no pistol mags over 17.
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 3:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Congradulations on your new assignment to the Coast Guard Installation at Ft Wadsworth. While you will have a hard time dealing with the AR15 issue you may work it out when you get up there. Every year our family drives up to RI for vacation and we stay one night at the Navy Lodge at Ft Wadsworth. The lodge is across the street from the USAR Center. I believe it is a transportation unit and maybe AD too. However, there is a large/relatively new (for Army standards) housing area on Ft Wasdworth and you certainly will meet some Navy & Sister Service personnel there in the same boat as you. Best advice is to pack away your gear now and see what you can do when you get there. If you are in the Pentagon/Crystal City area send me an email & I can give you more info on the Area. Lastly, the only Army post is Ft. Hamilton across the Varazano bridge. Call the MP desk there and see if they can store your gear prior to going there. All the best, eag
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmmmm, I would think that a CITY ORDINANACE would not have any jurisdiction on a FEDERAL INSTALLATION.

Of coarse, you still have to get them on the Federal Installation first.

When I was in the military, we stored our personal guns in the company arms room.  This was true of duty stations at home and abroad.  I'd call the armorer at your next duty station and see if this is a situation that has come up before.  Chances are, there is a protocol or at least it has been addressed before.

Oh, and by the way, F**K NYC and it's gun laws.

Saleen
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top