Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 10:55:40 AM EDT
First off, I know to the average shooter the fact that it is a documented USMC Barrett does not add an ounce of value, perhaps even detracts as the unit is used. Perhaps used and abused. So, no crapping on my thread. I am not looking for a debate on this.

What I am looking for is the opinion from collectors and millitary buffs. I am the one selling this unit. I have seen the two units on gunsamerica and wish those guys luck with their sells but I think they are high. And not by a little.

IF you had this unit, listed below, or was looking to buy one, what would you think was a reasonable price for a collector type?

Authentic USMC Barrett M82A1 - US Marked and with a Letter of Authenticity with the serial number listed from the Barrett Company. Barrett replaced the original SLAP barrel with a new unit but I do have the original barrel as well as three USGI and one civilian ten round magazine that are included in the sale.

The rifle can be sold with a Leupold Ultra Scope with USMC Mil Dots with green anti laser/detection coating that I purchased from George Gardner of GA Precision ( http://www.gaprecision.net/ ) - George states that the scope was one of several that Leupold sent to the USMC for evaluation. This scope is mounted with Badger Ordnance .50 rings. This scope and rings do not have to be included in the sale.

The rifle has Desert Camo paint on it. I doubt much, if any of it is original (Sniper applied) paint and it would clean off if the owner desired.

There are only 31 of these units in civilian hands.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First off, I know to the average shooter the fact that it is a documented USMC Barrett does not add an ounce of value, perhaps even detracts as the unit is used. Perhaps used and abused. So, no crapping on my thread. I am not looking for a debate on this.

What I am looking for is the opinion from collectors and millitary buffs. I am the one selling this unit. I have seen the two units on gunsamerica and wish those guys luck with their sells but I think they are high. And not by a little.

IF you had this unit, listed below, or was looking to buy one, what would you think was a reasonable price for a collector type?

Authentic USMC Barrett M82A1 - US Marked and with a Letter of Authenticity with the serial number listed from the Barrett Company. Barrett replaced the original SLAP barrel with a new unit but I do have the original barrel as well as three USGI and one civilian ten round magazine that are included in the sale.

The rifle can be sold with a Leupold Ultra Scope with USMC Mil Dots with green anti laser/detection coating that I purchased from George Gardner of GA Precision ( http://www.gaprecision.net/ ) - George states that the scope was one of several that Leupold sent to the USMC for evaluation. This scope is mounted with Badger Ordnance .50 rings. This scope and rings do not have to be included in the sale.

The rifle has Desert Camo paint on it. I doubt much, if any of it is original (Sniper applied) paint and it would clean off if the owner desired.

There are only 31 of these units in civilian hands.

I saw the ad for the very first barrett given to the USMC for T&E.  That rifle was priced in the $20,000-$30,000 range which is probably a fair price considering the history of the rifle.  Since yours isn't the first but is one of the leading test batchs I'm guessing $13,500-18,000 maybe?

I personally would pay less for that rifle then a current model Barrett simply because I don't buy rifles for their historic value and it's very well used I'm sure. Add to that the fact that the rifle doesn't have a few of the features of the newest production Barretts.

Good luck with your sale though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They sold for 4k. There area little over 120 in civilian hands. Most of the barrels were shot out and chambered for SLAP.

I wouldn't pay over the original 4k for one.

120. Can you back that up?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted: I saw the ad for the very first barrett given to the USMC for T&E.  That rifle was priced in the $20,000-$30,000 range which is probably a fair price considering the history of the rifle.  Since yours isn't the first but is one of the leading test batchs I'm guessing $13,500-18,000 maybe?

I personally would pay less for that rifle then a current model Barrett simply because I don't buy rifles for their historic value and it's very well used I'm sure. Add to that the fact that the rifle doesn't have a few of the features of the newest production Barretts.

Good luck with your sale though.

Thanks for your well thought out reply. If I was looking for a shooter, I wouldnt even pay retail if I could help it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yep, all 120 came through my hands for safety checks, headspace checks and 10 rds function fire  prior to shipping to dealers.

I guess Col. N Chandler of Iron Brigade Armory / Author of Death From Afar and many other books as well as the Barrett Firearms Company have it wrong then
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess Col. N Chandler of Iron Brigade Armory / Author of Death From Afar and many other books as well as the Barrett Firearms Company have it wrong then.

I don't think he said what you think he said.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess Col. N Chandler of Iron Brigade Armory / Author of Death From Afar and many other books as well as the Barrett Firearms Company have it wrong then.

Anything is possible.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
For me it would be worth about $3500. I could see some people paying up to $5500 for one. I don't think Desert Storm stuff has any collector value but probably will in 40 years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything is possible.

He worked for Barrett for MANY years as well...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything is possible.

He worked for Barrett for MANY years as well...

I have no doubt. But still.... something is amiss....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Vollmer was selling some a few years back for $11,000 or so with the shot out barrel and a new barrel.  IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes, the stuff I originally posted is true. Someone is feeding you a line. Almost every one of the 120 guns came back for safety checks and shipped to FFL holders. They sold nearly all of them and a few kept them for their own use.

Col. Chandler is probably going on what was told to him by Barrett. All but just a  few came back. One was nicknamed Baghdad Betty. it was kept for the Marine Corps Museum.
A few others were kept by the Corp, all others came to Barrett for eventual resale.

The thing is... there were only 100 rifles originally purchased in the first place...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Vollmer was selling some a few years back for $11,000 or so with the shot out barrel and a new barrel.  IIRC.

Thanks SHIVAN, thats good info that I did not know.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
So are you going to keep this up until you get everyone to agree that an old military service rifle is worth 2x of a new modern generation M82A1? There are 2 or 3 of these on Gunbroker at any one time. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Tell you what, I'll tell you what you want to hear.

Asking prices are $10k to $25K. Seriously. I have no idea if they sell at those inflated prices.    Start at $25k, dude you're going to be rich!! If for some weird reason it doesn't sell right away, lower your price each week $1k and keep it up until it sells. I am positive that it will sell within the next 6 months if you list it just like that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So are you going to keep this up until you get everyone to agree that an old military service rifle is worth 2x of a new modern generation M82A1? There are 2 or 3 of these on Gunbroker at any one time. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Tell you what, I'll tell you what you want to hear.

Asking prices are $10k to $25K. Seriously. I have no idea if they sell at those inflated prices.    Start at $25k, dude you're going to be rich!! If for some weird reason it doesn't sell right away, lower your price each week $1k and keep it up until it sells. I am positive that it will sell within the next 6 months if you list it just like that.

I have not tried to sway anyone to say or agree to anything. I did say that I did not want to argue about the value of old/verse new. I simply wanted to know what people thought it was worth. As far as your comment about telling me what I want to hear, you did not. I wanted intelligent conversation, not what you had to offer.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
JC_

There really were 120 rifles. The Corps kept a few that ddin't rotate back to Barrett.

It is not that I dont think you know what you are talking about but I would like to know your take on why Barrett only claims to have sold 100 to the USMC for Desert Storm. Is it possible that the original order was for 100 and then the USMC ordered another batch right after the first?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top