Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2002 4:30:42 PM EDT
I just ordered a new complete lower. Now I'm looking for an upper. I want a 11.5" bbl and a 5.5" flash hider "look alike". Does anyone make a setup like this that is legal for a post ban rifle? I think I saw one that had slots in it but they didn't go all the way thru. I imagine this is what I'll have to use. Any info is appriciated.
DPMS website doesn't tell me much. I'm new to the post ban world. Until now I've only owned pre bans so please forgive my ignorance.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
you can put the Bushmaster Extended AK brake on. I haven't seen an Extended look-a-like FH.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The answer is no, a FH is not legal on a post ban. You must use a muzzle break.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If the slots are not cut through the tube, it is legal. It's still just a piece of pipe/extension.

If the slots are cut all way through, to serve as a functional suppressor, then it is not allowed on a "Post-Ban".  I have heard of people having a sleeve installed to the inside of the 5.5" to cover the inside of the slots so as to render the slot inoperative, but still retain a nice appearance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
There's no functional advantage to a 5.5" flash hider/look alike. As a matter of fact it's rather counter productive to the effectiveness of any 5.56 round.

No knocking your decision, but if you don't know that, you probably should before you commit to it.

It's 100% asthetic and 0% functional.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There's no functional advantage to a 5.5" flash hider/look alike. As a matter of fact it's rather counter productive to the effectiveness of any 5.56 round.
No knocking your decision, but if you don't know that, you probably should before you commit to it.
It's 100% asthetic and 0% functional.

Roger that. I ordered the lower with a non-collapsable CAR stock so I want to stick with the CAR "look". I might go with a 16" bbl, not sure yet. I do know one thing, I'd rather have a bare muzzle then have an AK type break. Those things are ugly (even if functional)IMO.
I'm going to keep looking for a faux FH to put on my new carbine. I'm sure someone makes one because I remember seeing a pic of one on here. IIRC, it had slots on it but they didn't go all the way thru, in effect, just a peice of pipe.  Mabey it was KKF, can't remember...too early.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
BTT for the AM crew.
Anyone know who makes the faux 5.5" flash hider look alike, or just a regular A2 "look alike" non-functional flash hider? i.e., slots cut in it but not all the way thru.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTT for the AM crew.
Anyone know who makes the faux 5.5" flash hider look alike, or just a regular A2 "look alike" non-functional flash hider? i.e., slots cut in it but not all the way thru.

Check with Kurt, I think he was going to do something like that. Might want to think about getting either a 16inch barrel, and have him make one that sleeves over the barrel. Thus it looks like a shorty barrel, but you still get the velocity out of it. I think that was the kind he was going to make.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top