Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2011 10:26:49 AM EDT
I've decided to go with a Leupold FXII scout scope on this rifle and am wondering which size bases to use.  

Am I ok using low mounts? or will I need medium or large due to the sights on the rifle.  I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

I haven't tried mounting anything on this rifle other that my trijicon reflex, which I mounted straight to the Socom rail.  

Also will I need a cheek riser with a scout scope? or will I be ok without one?

If anyone has any experience with this, I would appreciate the input.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i used high rings on mine.  as far as cheek riser goes thats just gonna be your personal preference.  i dont use one but i do need to point out the m1a stock in general is not scope friendly per-say.  the stock was designed around the irons so your cheek wont be on the stock when you use a scope unless you add a riser.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight.  I'm gonna try going with medium rings, and get a set of high ones just in case.  I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
let me know how that works.  its not a problem with my set up as far as lack of cheek weld but i wouldnt mind if i could get a half way decent cheek weld.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
These rings are your best bet http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=463702

With these you will probably be good without a cheek rest depending on your mount. Not all medium/low are the same height. I went with a burris scout scope and burris Xtreme low rings that are .25 high. Leupold qrw's are .230 high. I would have gone with the Leupold rings but I am running a Fastfire 2 on top of the scope and needed the Picatinny mount that you get for the Xtreme rings(which was hard for me to do because I have made it a point to never buy any products that use such a stupid word as extreme in their marketing or description).

This thread on m14 forum has a lot of info and good pics.  http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/83493-scout-scope-setups.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for that input.  I'll let you know how this works out.  Going to check on the rings you recomended also.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have Warne QRW LOW rings on mine, with a cheek riser and Burris 2-7X

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
im def gonna have to check out those warne rings.  i have been wanting some qd rings and when i mounted my scope i had a set of high rings laying around so i just used those.  ill admit i wouldnt mind having the scope lower.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've decided to go with a Leupold FXII scout scope on this rifle and am wondering which size bases to use.  

Am I ok using low mounts? or will I need medium or large due to the sights on the rifle.  I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

I haven't tried mounting anything on this rifle other that my trijicon reflex, which I mounted straight to the Socom rail.  

Also will I need a cheek riser with a scout scope? or will I be ok without one?

If anyone has any experience with this, I would appreciate the input.  Thanks.

Bring it out when you get that scope mounted and I'll help you burn up some ammo.

Check your PM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top