Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 10:37:44 PM EDT
I noticed how far down the neck the Redding Comp Type S die runs. The bushing can't be adjusted to bring the bushing down to the shoulder.

What would the purpose of the micrometer thimble adjustment be? For example, if I can't get the bushing down to the shoulder junction, fine, but why would I want it even further up with micrometer readings?

Is there some utility to neck sizing only part way down the neck in some context I am unaware of?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I noticed how far down the neck the Redding Comp Type S die runs. The bushing can't be adjusted to bring the bushing down to the shoulder.

What would the purpose of the micrometer thimble adjustment be? For example, if I can't get the bushing down to the shoulder junction, fine, but why would I want it even further up with micrometer readings?

Is there some utility to neck sizing only part way down the neck in some context I am unaware of?

Hahaha, that's why nobody really buys the competition bushing sizer die(s).  It's really not needed.  If you want to go halfway, the standard stem will work just fine.

I have one or two out of ten, S FL and Neck bushing dies, (308/7rm) where I can almost get down to the neck/shoulder joint, but not 100%.  Some benchrest pros will size only 50% of the neck and I did that for a few cycles on my 338LM rounds, but went back to sizing the entire neck (or most of it) and don't fret it.

You have to adjust for the lack of neck tension and that false shoulder you get, doesn't iron out and looks ghetto to boot.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people only size half or less of their necks, BR shooters do all kinds of weird(to us) things looking for that one load that's better than all.

Why are you using a neck only sizing die(the FL sizing die doesn't have the Micrometer), or is this not for an AR? or do you body size separate?

I use the Redding Type "S" FL bushing dies and am very happy with them, that little bit it doesn't size between the neck and shoulder junction will help the round center in your chamber, so it's a good thing in a way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I also use the FL bushing dies and am very happy using them on .223.  I have a set of bushings to neck size for the different thickness brass that I handload.  I also do not use a ball or mandrel to ID size the neck unless the the neck is dented.  Recently checked the concentricity of the neck and inserted bullet of my handloads and it is within 0.001.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a method to the madness.

The Type S Neck Sizing Dies are intended for benchrest shooters.  The "shoulder" left behind after the neck is sized ensures that the fired case is centered in the chamber at the front end.  The portion of the neck that is sized down by the neck bushing grips the bullet and keeps it centered in the case.  IMO, the micrometer top on these dies is a bit of overkill but it is what it is.  What it is NOT, is an adjustment for the case sizing.

The Type S Full Length Sizing Dies are much better suited to the general reloader.  These dies are very flexible.  They can be used as body dies, neck sizing dies, full length dies,...

I wish someone would design a case sizing die that is truly micrometer adjustable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Type S Neck Sizing Dies are intended for benchrest shooters.  The "shoulder" left behind after the neck is sized ensures that the fired case is centered in the chamber at the front end.  The portion of the neck that is sized down by the neck bushing grips the bullet and keeps it centered in the case.  IMO, the micrometer top on these dies is a bit of overkill but it is what it is.  What it is NOT, is an adjustment for the case sizing.

The Type S Full Length Sizing Dies are much better suited to the general reloader.  These dies are very flexible.  They can be used as body dies, neck sizing dies, full length dies,...

I wish someone would design a case sizing die that is truly micrometer adjustable.

This would be nice, but way too easy.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What part of the FL sizing process would you want to be micrometer controlled?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The die depth adjustment which controls how far back the shoulder gets pushed when resizing.  A 14TPI thread with lots of slop is a wee bit too coarse for my liking.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The die depth adjustment which controls how far back the shoulder gets pushed when resizing.  A 14TPI thread with lots of slop is a wee bit too coarse for my liking.

OK I got you, a die that has a Micrometer that adjust head space would be great instead of trying to turn the die in or out .001" in 14TPI threads.

A die with an outer body sleeve and a complete floating/sliding inner body that could be controlled with a micro adjuster around the top outer part of the die and then have the Micro adjuster on the very top to control neck sizing(if neck die) would be fantastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top