Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2002 10:36:43 AM EDT
Shot my rifle at Scary SECRET on Saturday and had a blast. However, someone took a look at some of the empties and pointed out something that has me a bit concerned.

Many of the primers had really deep craters (not fully pierced) or had a deep strike with a bit of metal mushroomed up just enough around the firing pin indentation to feel it with your finger and even see it if you looked closely.

I'd been shooting some old surplus ammo (maybe Portuguese; don't really remember where/when I got it). Tried some other ammo and didn't see this sort of result on the primers.

The only thing I've done to the rifle since the last time I shot it (never noticed this phenomenon before--or at least it's never been pointed out to me) was to install one of those nylon/rubberish-thingy recoil buffers in the morning before shooting. My rifle, BTW, is a built-up conglomeration: Armscorp receiver, TRW bolt, Hastings barrel, McMillan stock (from what the previous owner/builder told me anyway).

Do I have a simple ammo problem or is it weapon-related? TIA for any answers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#1]
If ya wanted to you could put another fireing pin in it.You can buy a new USGI one for about $10. Just a thought.Ive never looked to see if mine had an deep pin mark.If ya wanted a new one try Fulton armory ,U.S. Armory , or Bill Rica over at CSP site.War Dawg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top