Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2003 5:29:02 PM EDT
shepherd,

On another gun board a poster stated that Springfield Armory, Inc. changed the front end dimensions of their receivers at about S/N 040000.  This resulted in a change of the barrel draw.  Recievers under S/N 040000 were machined to USGI M14 dimensions according to the poster (select fire features and the receiver bottom right hand side ridge aside).

Do you agree with this statement?

Thanks,

Different
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:42:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
shepherd,

On another gun board a poster stated that Springfield Armory, Inc. changed the front end dimensions of their receivers at about S/N 040000.  This resulted in a change of the barrel draw.  Recievers under S/N 040000 were machined to USGI M14 dimensions according to the poster (select fire features and the receiver bottom right hand side ridge aside).

Do you agree with this statement?

Thanks,

Different

I hope you get my Imail also.

Different:

I agree 100%
Only because I made that statement.

Here's how it goes.
The draw on the front of the receiver I was refering to is also called barrel timing.
Spfld "no it alls" decided to change the original blueprint and call it "THEIR" design.
And it is,that's for sure.

They started having problems with fit and feed when they did that.Their idea was to move the chamber forward which (by their opinion) would improve accuracy and make for longer lock up time (bolt stays closed longer).

Here's proof that Spfld changed the draw on the front of their receivers.Have you ever tried to install a USGI barrel on a receiver above serial number 40,000??? If you (or someone you know) have,then you know that you had to set the barrel shoulder back to time the barrel to the receiver correctly (line up the sights).

They also made the bottom of the receiver flat all the way across the bottom on the right side instead of notching it per mil-spec.That notch made it easier to locate where to route the stock for glass bedding. Now you have to measure from the back of the receiver.

To verify what I just said,all you have to do is look on the bottom of the receiver flat.On receivers over 40,000 it's marked with a single digit number which tells them at Spfld (if and when they get it back) how much advanced barrel timing that paticular receiver has.I beleive they're up to about 3 or 4 now.

Spfld had made a number of changes to parts such as sights (rear elevation knob is a good one),ball detent and spring on match sights,cast op-rods,bolts,trigger groups,etc.

The 40,000 serial number is a ball park number which is real close because I don't remember the exact serial number they started at (unless I can find my notes).

If you call Gene at Barnett Barrels for a match barrel,he'll ask for the serial number on your rifle.So will John at Krieger barrels.

When installing a barrel on a M14 M1A (and M1) the required torque is 80 ft lbs minimum per mil-spec.

Sorry for the long lecture but, since I was at it I thought others may find this info. interesting as well.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#2]
shephard,

Thank you! I received your IM as well.  No problemo! That explains a whole lot more too.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
my last 3 SA Inc receivers had barrel draw around 30degrees.... I'd have to say that SA did change the dimentions of the front of their receivers...
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]

30 degrees is about right.That would put the number stamped on the bottom of the receiver at 3 I think.

HighPowerShooter: Did ya look at the bottom of the receivers for the number stamped on it??

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup.. just checked all 3  and they all have the 3 stamped on them
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Great,thanks for the update.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top