Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:51:21 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a C&R license and I'm a little confused. I understand it's not to be used for a "business" and only in an individual/collector capacity. And I get the part that you have to log guns in when acquired and after you "dispose" of them.

What's confusing me is that when most people "dispose" of a gun, there is some type of monetary transaction involved. If no money, at least another firearm in trade. If I "dispose" a C&R weapon to a friend and get a little cash for it, am I considered a business? Or am I still acting in the individual/collector capacity? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:51:27 PM EDT
If you only occassionally dispose of a firearm, it's ok. If you do it a lot, the BATF will scrutinize your "collecting" more intensely. There is no hard established number of transactions by the BATF as to how many is too many per year.

Personally, I figure as long as my collection gets keeps getting bigger there's no reason to worry.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:52:48 AM EDT
So does that mean I must buy at least 1 C&R firearm otherwise the ATF will think it is suspicious my logbook is empty?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:11:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
So does that mean I must buy at least 1 C&R firearm otherwise the ATF will think it is suspicious my logbook is empty?

That's a good question too. Any answers from the more experienced folks? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:

Originally Posted By metroplex:

That's a good question too. Any answers from the more experienced folks? Thanks.

No reason for them to be. You never disposed of anything because you never bought anything. I know a few people who have had a C&R for many years only to get discounts on supplies and never bought a C&R firearm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:13:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pthfndr:

No reason for them to be. You never disposed of anything because you never bought anything. I know a few people who have had a C&R for many years only to get discounts on supplies and never bought a C&R firearm.

You can get discounts on supplies??!! How do you go about getting it and from whom? I know you need the license first though. Thanks for answering the question about the empty log book.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BIKECOP29:

Originally Posted By Pthfndr:

You can get discounts on supplies??!! How do you go about getting it and from whom? I know you need the license first though. Thanks for answering the question about the empty log book.

Brownells, Midway, Graf & Sons. I'm sure there are others. Just send them a signed COPY of your license and register on their website.
Top Top