Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2004 7:40:40 AM EST
This might be a dumb question, but where the hell do you get a box long enough to put a rifle in to ship it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:33:44 AM EST
take a big box long enough, cut it down so it's not too big around and tape the shit out of it.

Or just go to a gun store and ask if they have any shipping boxes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:13:19 PM EST
I second the notion of trying to locate a box at a local gunshop, as I've done it before myself.

Now if you don't mind spending a little money and have the time, you can do what I did to ship my M16 out of state for a refinish. I ordered a cheap hardcase from Bushmaster for something like $15 and it came packaged in a cardboard box. UPS charges more to ship an unwrapped hardcase, so the box came in handy. I then shipped the rifle in the hardcase which was inside the cardboard box that it came in. That way, I had no fear of any damage to my rifle while in transit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:40:57 PM EST
Madman has it dead on! Shipping in an inexpensive rifle case is the way to go if you do not want your rifle to get mashed by UPS! I have had a couple rifles damaged by UPS when shipped in cardboard boxes wrapped in newpaper and styrofoam peanuts.

One had a broken wood stock right at the pistol grip, another a nice large ding on the muzzle of the barrel. I am not talking inexpensive rifles, a Walther smallbore target and a match conditioned M1 Garand with Douglas heavy barrel. One rifle I shipped in a cheap Docosil case survived without any damage though the end of the case was cracked and there was a hole in the side of the case I could put two fingers through. This one was a double lugged M1A super match! I now ship in a more expensive case, $50 type just to be sure!
Top Top