Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 8:25:39 AM EDT
OK, so I've got the Redding die set for .223, and it's got a crimp built in, if you run it down that far. So far, I've been loading match ammo, so I've not been crimping it. I'm getting in a few compontents with cantelure (sp?) that I do want to crimp.

So the question is: Do I use the crimp in the die, or do I want to get a Lee FCD?

Also, what is the procedure for setting up the OAL with the integral crimp die? It seems that you don't want to crimp every time you go just a little deeper on the setting. Seems like you'd ruin the setup case and bullet like that. How do you guys do it?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#1]
On the intergrated crimp.
Seat the bullet to the depth you want, back the seating punch out a few turns, run the round all the way up into the die, then screw the die down to touch the case mouth, back off the round and screw the die in another 1/8 turn.
Then run the round up into the die to crimp, you just want to kiss the crimp,, no pressure.
'Borg
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You also need to trim every case the same or your crip will be all over the place....I know its basic, it just wasnt mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
On the intergrated crimp.
Seat the bullet to the depth you want, back the seating punch out a few turns, run the round all the way up into the die, then screw the die down to touch the case mouth, back off the round and screw the die in another 1/8 turn.
Then run the round up into the die to crimp, you just want to kiss the crimp,, no pressure.
'Borg

OK, that's what I was formulating in my head... Then when you get the crimp set up, run the seating piece down to the bullet, and set the lock nut, then you're GTG? OR run the seating part down to the bullet, then back the ram/cartrige off, add 1/8 or 1/16 turn to the seating piece?

I do trim them all anyway, but thanks!

Mike
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If I am crimping with such a die I do two separate steps.  Otherwise I have had issues with getting a consistent seating depth and crimps since you are trying to crimp while the bullet is  moving to the seating depth at the same time.  If you are running a progressive I would look at picking up another die to do the crimping.

Thats the way I would do it anyways.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#5]
For 223 bolt rifles, I do not crimp.  I just use the case neck tension.
For the 223 Ar rifles, I use a Lee FCD.  This is a collet type die so case trim will not matter.  It works well for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, when the crimp is where you want it, run the round all the way into the die, then screw the seating punch down to the bullet, sorry,, just assumed.
'Borg
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, thanks guys!

I'll try to do both of them, then see if I get consistant results from it... If I don't, I'll do it in (2) stages, like I do .45ACP...

Thanks again,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Re-loading Die Adjustments

http://www.chuckhawks.com/adjust_reloading_dies.htm

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
If I crimp a round, I always do it in 2 steps.

Use seat/crimp die to seat only.

Use Lee FCD to crimp. Rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
any proven improvements in accuracy with the Lee FCD?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top