Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 3:32:51 PM EDT
My friend is possibly looking at acquiring an AR15 that has a 37 mm grenade launcher attached to it.  I have told him that to the best of my knowledge, it is ok to buy a grenade launcher but the grenades themselves require the paperwork and the tax stamp.

Is what I told him correct?

I am looking around on the Internet to try to find some more information, but I thought that I would also check here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The 37mm don't shoot grenades, only the 40mm which is of itself a destructive device. And yes, the grenades themselves also require paperwork and a tax stamp, as well as special explosive storage requirements.  
The 37mm's are flares and gas launchers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a 37mm, it's a "flare" launcher and not a grenade launcher and is OK to own without any paperwork.  A true 40mm M203 requires a $200 tax stamp as a destructive device.  Also, any explosive grenade with >1/4oz of charge requires a $200 tax stamp.

The other wrinkle is if you own a 37mm GL and anti-personnel ammo (buckshot, beanbag etc), then you have a destructive device even though it's really a flare launcher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top