Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 12:40:18 PM EDT
I bought 2 Thermold mags the other day. When I got them home I loaded one up to try it out. It seemed like it needed some lubrication. I applied a little gun oil to the inside of the mags then put them back together. They functioned great.

Is gun oil ok to use on them or should I not have used anything at all??

Is there a better type of lub to use??

I'd appreciate some help with this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What made you think it needed lubrication? I have more than 20(amature magaholic)Thermolds and they all worked perfect and never even thought of needing lube.  What mold numbvers did you get? Are you sure they are Thermolds and not Orlites?

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The mags might have some internal "flashing" from the molding process, a few dozen cycles should scrape this off.  If now, you can open the bottom of the mags and do it yourself.  I wouldn't recommend any lubricants, because you shouldn't really need them with these mags.  I have about ten and they all work great.  No problems even in rapid fire.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I never fired it before I lubricated it. It just seemed like it would help. All my AK47 synthetic waffle mags were lubricated when I got them so it seemed like a good idea at the time I guess..lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermolds are supposed to be self Lubricating...  I don't know if oiling them is a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah the mold numbers are H21 and H22
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Plastics don't do well with hydrocarbon (petroleum) based lubes. Use some petroleum free silicon lube if you have to have one.
I own both thermold and orelite mags and I agree with HighlandMac, they really don't require lubrication. Just clean them out once in a while.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
All of mine are H21 and H22 as well. You really should clean them out and let the maggs do its thing. As stated before they may take a little "breaking in" but they work flawlessly in all my ARs.

Link Posted: 3/16/2002 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
OK thanks guys for helping me out. I'll take em apart and clean the oil out. The reason I was asking is that I ordered 8 more Thermolds from the equipment exchange and I wanted to make sure if I was doing the right thing or not.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Oil=dirt magnet, the only time (last week actually) my Thermolds failed was because I didn't get all the sand/gril out of them.  Prior to last week I took them apart and just rinsed them through.  The problem was the little bits of grit that stayed. I took an old 12 guage mop and wiped them all out.  I'll let you know how they function tommorrow.  

If you ol anything, it's the springs to keep them from corroding, otherwise any oil in any mag is a problem (failure to feed) just waiting to happen
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top