Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 2:41:32 PM EDT

Ok I have a question.  I just ordered a rifle kit from J T Distributing.  They seem to be a respectable organization and have received good reviews from other members of AR15.com.  

There is one thing, however, that I find a bit disturbing.  They claim that they use FN contract parts in their kits.

Is this a huge load of BS?

I have been told by supposedly knowledgeable sources that Fabrique Nationale CANNOT produce AR15/M16 parts for anyone but the U.S. government....!?

Who is bullshitting me here?

Someone who knows please set the record straight.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My bolt carrier is stamped FN. It came from a parts supply house. It works just as well as the carriers I used in the Army. It looks just like them finish-wise too. Maybe it isn't FN, but it doesn't seem to matter.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on when/what contract , if the contract expires the the manufacturer can usually sell off any stock over runs as they see fit . They just can't produce any more of those parts if they are made under a limited license .
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]

btt

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely, they get their parts from whoever makes the parts for FN - and not from FN directly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]

need a more definite answer.  btt
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Spiff,

i am not shure this answers your question, but we have a dealer that comes to all the gun shows here in Tucson & he sells nothyng but FN made AR parts, & has been doing so for two years that i know of, so i wud thynk that he wud soon run out of parts if he cud not obtain more from FN......

i do not belive it is a matter of BS, i belive it is a matter of ignorance, those "...supposedly knowledgable scources..." just do not know, or....., well you draw yer own conclussions........

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you want to build?  Does it matter that it's FN or not?  Their prices seem fair.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#8]

It makes no difference to me if the parts are actually FN or not, as long as they are quality functional parts.  I would just like to know the real story about where they came from.  I guess im just curious.

It always seemed to me like the origins of parts for AR15s in general are kinda shady.  I mean, I read all the time about how such and such company gets their parts from the same people who make Colt's parts, or Bushmaster's barrells or they are U.S. government contract blah blah blah.  After a while it just all starts sounding like a huge load of overused bull.

Maybe someone can help me see the light. btt

-Spaceman

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top