Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 3:05:34 PM EDT
Let's say you were hunting Javelina in Arizona with a handgun. What type of gun and caliber would you choose?

Would a .45 ACP be effective? Would you stick with Magnum calibers (.357/.44) ?  What gun would you take?

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would take my S&W Performance Center 629.  It has an integral rail, is dead accurate, and powerful enough to flatten them.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
S&W 629 .44 Magnum, would be my choice, maybe a Model 19 in .357 Magnum.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have taken deer and hogs both with 45acp and 357 magnum. I carry the 45 for finishing shots while rifle hunting, rarely needed, but carry it any way.

Have taken 2 bucks with the 45 at approximately 15 yards each. (both one shot drops). Also taken a couple of small pigs with the 45. I have noticed the 45 does NOT penetrate very well when it comes in contact with bone. Neither buck taken had exit wounds. Both rounds were stopped on ribs on the oppossing side. (FMJ handloads)

Have taken 1 buck and numerous hogs with the 357. Has exited every time. (158 gr lead handloads)

I have taken 1 javalina, but not with a pistol.

I wouldn't feel "ILL EQUIPPED" with either round.

Be careful, they are nasty little BOOGERS and will bite.

Personally, I would choose the 357 over the 45.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What's a javelina? I can shoot 'em, eh?

I've read of guys (Chuck Taylor & Jeff Cooper) shooting pigs, deer and even goats with 45's and 40's; but I've never used a handgun to hunt.

the javelina or Collared Peccary is a native of the Chihuahuan and Sonoran Deserts of southwestern Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, southward through Central America to northern Argentina.
Weight: 35-60 lbs
Collared Peccary is the only wild, native, pig-like animal found in the United States.

The Collared Peccary, also known as the Javelina, Tayaussa or the Musk Hog.

They are called Javelina because of their razor-sharp tusks, Spanish for javelin or spear.

You may smell a peccary before you see it.

The prickly pear is ideal food for the Collared Peccary due to its high water content.

Collared Peccary have poor eyesight and good hearing.

Link Posted: 7/31/2002 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]
i would stick to a magnum persoanlly. a 45 fmj may work ina  15 yd pinch, but 357 would be much better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top