Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 5:27:24 PM EDT
I'm buying my niece her own NV monocular to use when we go coyote hunting. It will be used mostly for getting in and out of the woods and to spot from. Anyhow I'm down to either the Armasight spark core or Bushy Equinox z and was wondering if anyone has a preference or other advice. Already playing with a PVS-14 and can't justify that kind of money for a 7 yr old girl, at least not yet....thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The Spark would be a good choice because it has very little distortion to the image compared to many other Gen1 devices. With the inbuilt IR emitter you can navigate with it to some extent, though may bloom your Gen3.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Something you have to remember is a PVS-14 has about 100 times more amplification than a spark core. When it gets dark, she will be blind, or she will have to use extra IR.  A Spark Core would not be suitable for navigating woods without extra IR.

As long as the extra IR is fine for your application, then a Spark Core would be workable. It has about a 30 degree FOV, which is a little small,  and the distortion will affect her a little ( keep an eye on her for safety reasons there ) but otherwise it will be OK.

I was about to recommend digital, but digital isn't really suitable due to the narrow FOV. Also kids are even less sensitive to light than adults are, so you need to be careful. It may be necessary to find her another PVS-14.

Though on the cheap side, you could find something secondhand.

Normally I wouldn't recommend something expensive for a kid, but in this case, it sounds like it might be necessary. If you get the core, please let us know how it goes.

David. 
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all the recommendations thus far.. Anytime I have her with me we always ride the golf cart in and she usually scans with mine while I sit back and call them in. We Have a tree stand/tree house that we built that we sit in which I must say is extremely nice. I even put popular bark siding (Which I sell on the side) on it..  I just want to be able to look in one direction while she the other once we are in the stand and a little and for both of us to be able to see on the ride in without lights! I should have been a bit more specific.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top