Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2003 1:12:10 AM EDT
Are USGI Garand receivers cast?

The new Springfield Armory Garands, are those mil-spec?

I really want to get a Garand, but I want to make sure I will get one that will last.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
AgentFork wrote;

"Are USGI Garand receivers cast?"

No.  They are forged

"The new Springfield Armory Garands, are those mil-spec?"

Yes and No.  The receivers are newly manufactured, as are the barrel and wood.  All other parts are USGI old-new-stock or refurbished USGI parts.  The new made receivers meet USGI spec for dimensions, but they are investment cast, not forged, therefore don't meet USGI spec for type.

"I really want to get a Garand, but I want to make sure I will get one that will last."

The "new" SA's have a lifetime warranty... so what's the worry??? ;)

Now, having said that... if you want one that will last, get one from the CMP.   USGI all the way... and half the price of one of the "new" ones from SA.

I've bought numerous M1's from the CMP.  Best deal going for original USGI M1 rifles.

PART of my CMP rifle collection can be seen here:  [www.swampworks.com/SwampysStuff-Home.html]

Enjoy

Garands forever,
Swampy

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi ya' Swampy. Glad to see you here.

Belive what Swampy says, he knows his Garands.

www.swampworks.com/SwampysStuff-Home.html

Fixed your link there dude.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
For the same money as the Springfield, you could get a bona fide USGI from Orion 7.  I have heard lots of good things about them on the boards.

www.m1garandrifle.com/
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice site Swampy!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  What do I have to do to join the CMP?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Follow this link: www.odcmp.com/

edited: I should have added, if you don't have a rifle club locally that's registered with them you can join others. I think the Garand Collector's Association is, among other such places. Being from Idaho I doubt you'll have much problem finding an affilated club and match.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You will pay close to $1,000 for a Springfield Garand.

It will be mass produced on a line by idiots with hangovers that can bearly speak English.

It will have a cast reciever and half ass fitted parts. It may or may not work when you get it home.

For $1,025 you can buy a Garand from Fulton Armory built on a real USGI reciever one at a time by a master armorer.

It will also have a new barrel and new wood and is avalible in 30-06 and .308.

I can't see any advantage to the Springfield Garand.

If it was a $500 rifle it would be worth it but not at $1000.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
cornbread is right...trust me, I know.  I purchased a new Springfield Garand and though the general overall workmanship was fairly good there were a couple of serious errors on it.  For instance....they conviently forgot to put a liner in the front handguard ( which I corrected ) and the front sight was really messed up.  Don't even ask how I missed that....but I corrected that also, another easy fix. As far as shootability and reliabilty, it has been very good and once I am finished with the stock bedding I am sure it will shoot great.  However once I am finally finished with the stock I am selling it.
 The little screwups on this particular Garand are nothing compared to how much Springfield can screw up a 1911....they have that down to an art.
 I am so sick of Springfield Armory that I can hardly mention them anymore.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quality control from Springfield recently is terrible.

I have noticed serious problems recently ona few their M1a rifles. There problems were so bad and noticable that I could see the defect from ten feet away.

There is no excuse for rifles leaving the factory in such a condition. Whoever inspects these things before they leave the factory must be an idiot or just don't give a shit.

I have an M1a that was built about three years ago that is one of the best rifles I have ever owned but there is no way I would order a new one without being able to inspect it myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top