Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 2:42:57 AM EST
How well are the SA, inc Garands made? Anyone hear or experience any problems? I have several USGI M1's, but ever since I shot Chuck Santose's "tanker" in .308, I've lusted after a similar rifle. While his has the advantage of a USGI foundation, SA, inc offers one pre-made that come in at a price that's reasonable considering what I'd have to pay to get a standard GI one converted and working well. So it seems that it would be easier to just buy a Springfield Armory, Inc version and be done with it.

Of course if it's junk, then it's no bargin. Hence the question. Are the SA, Inc guns worth buying?

Ross
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:49:58 AM EST
Stick with USGI.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:53:35 PM EST
Junk and more money than a true GI gun. The new production Garand is like the new production semi auto Thompson, a total waste of everyone's time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:59:44 PM EST
Get one from the CMP...I did...
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:47:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 4:56:09 AM EST by Chuck]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:42:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 7:46:55 AM EST by Ross]

Originally Posted By Retched_Rick:
Get one from the CMP...I did...

I did through the DCM, and bought two other DCM guns issued to friends of mine who no longer wanted them. So, I'm not exactly a newbie to the program. Since I already have three real USGI M1s, I know that if I started down the slippery slope of CMP buying, I'd go broke. Under the DCM you could only get one issued to you for your lifetime.

Rather than chop up one of my DCM guns, which are pretty nice, I was looking at either:

1) Buying CMP gun and having it rebuilt as a T26-type, which would not be cheap even with an "inexpensive" donor.

2) Buying one of the old SA, inc T26 guns, which are hard to find, but pop up once in a while, but have some issues and few are .308, making it hard to find and still expensive.

3) Buying a new production SA, inc T-26. This would be the less expensive route, but of course not if it is junk, which is why I was looking for information.

I'd like actual first-hand, or even second or third-hand is fine, experience telling me WHY the new production SA,Inc is bad.

Truly, I appreciate the comments, but "Stick to GI", "Go with CMP", "Junk" don't provide enough detail to provide enough info to make an informed decision on. If it sucks, it sucks, but I'd like to know WHY.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:54:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By Chuck:
I'd not alter a historical M1 into a "tanker." Mine was a Federal Ordnance commercial conversion on a USGI receiver and is rollstamped "TANKER" on the left side of the receiver. It was in .30-06 and very troublesome, so I got it very inexpensively from the original owner. Took several months and multiple trips to the range, but once I got it working it was so much fun to shoot I had a 7.62mm barrel fitted to it. The .30-06 barrel was not a GI conversion and very poorly made.

Complete conversions are expensive and require modification of the oprod and stock. The SA version may be the way to go. I'd personally get a M1A Bush Rifle, though, in lieu of the Tanker. Yeah, I have both, but I feel the the Bush is a better rifle than the Tanker for several reasons, including the 20 round magazine.

www.hunt101.com/img/213477.jpg
www.hunt101.com/img/062460.jpg

-- Chuck

I'm not too keen on altering historic guns either, hence my investigation of the SA, Inc path.

I had forgotten completely about the M1-A Bush Rifle. That definately gives me something to ponder there. Thanks for mentioning it. I have an SA M1-A and a Polytech/TRW gun, and plenty of mags, so a Bush rifle isn't a bad path for me to go down. Hmmm...first you let me shoot that M1 a couple years ago and got me started thinking about a short Garand, now you have me thinking about a Bush rifle. That does have some advantages, like a .308 engineered gas system, box mag, and the recent accessories that have come out for the M14-type guns.

Option #4 has been added to the mix, 4) Buy a M1-A Bush rifle and use my existing mags and stuff.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:53:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/21/2004 8:55:23 AM EST by Chuck]
Top Top