Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/13/2008 5:42:01 AM EDT
I (noob) just bought a FS2000 tactical to replace my old M17. I had a couple of questions:

What is the best tactical sling for the FS2000?

I have shot both civilian .223 and NATO .5.56 rounds through my AR-15 with no problems. I have read, however, that there is a slight difference between .223 and 5.56 ammo (e.g. http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/news/newsview.aspx?storyid=11). Will .223 ammo shoot well through the FS2000?

If 5.56 ammo is preferred, what’s the best anti-personnel/anti-critter 5.56 ammo?

I have found that my many various 40-rd mags work flawlessly in my Colt AR, but not in my M17, has anyone tried them in an FS2000? Do they work?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:43:25 AM EDT
Congrats on the new rifle.

.223 will shoot fine in 5.56 marked guns, where shooting 5.56 in .223 marked guns may be unsafe.

I believe most all GI spec AR15/M16 magazines will work in the FS2000, where polymer magazines like Magpul P-mags are to thick to fit.

You have the gun, so I suggest trying your 40 round mags to see if they work. I would probably stick to 20 and 30 round mags for home defense situations.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:52:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MarineHawk:
I (noob) just bought a FS2000 tactical to replace my old M17. I had a couple of questions:

What is the best tactical sling for the FS2000?

Urban E.R.T.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:54:48 AM EDT
Thanks stevemc.

I agree on the 40-rd mags.

Do you think something like the Fed. Premium 60 gr Nosler Partition would be a good choice? My thinking is that the partitioned bullets open up and do a fair amount of damage but also hold together at the base for decent penetration.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:00:00 AM EDT
Thanks.

Also, I am doubful there are any but does anyone know if there are any magazines that hold only 5 rounds that rould somehow fit in the FS2K? The reason I ask is that some states allow only rifles with magazines holding 5 or fewer rounds. E.g., when I went javalina hunting with my dad in NM with my AR, I had to get a 5-rd mag. If not, would it be hard to modify a standard 20-rd mag so that only 5 rds would fit?

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 1:30:06 PM EDT

Thanks.

Also, I am doubful there are any but does anyone know if there are any magazines that hold only 5 rounds that rould somehow fit in the FS2K? The reason I ask is that some states allow only rifles with magazines holding 5 or fewer rounds. E.g., when I went javalina hunting with my dad in NM with my AR, I had to get a 5-rd mag. If not, would it be hard to modify a standard 20-rd mag so that only 5 rds would fit?

That really depends on why you need a 5 round mag.

You can divot the magazie, so that for hunting purposes it's legitimate and limited to five rounds - akin to a magazine plug in a shotgun.

However, nanny and commie states like Canada that limit you to five round mags require that the change be impossible to reverse. There are extenders out there that make a 5 round metal box mag be as large as a 20 round mag - some FS2000 models come with those. But those are intensely scarce.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:11:13 PM EDT
The best 5.56 load for serious use is the Hornady LE 5.56 TAP 70 grain load. Check out the AR Ammo section. Lot of good info there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:33:20 PM EDT

Thanks.

The Magpul Ranger floorplates work nicely on the shorter mags. Not sure how they would work on a 5 rounder. May need a piece of cord tied through it to hang out of the bottom of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:36:55 AM EDT
Thanks all.

I ordered the E.R.T. sling. I even ordered the "discounted Weapons Catch Adapter" at about $7 without the slightest understanding of what it might be or do.

I'll order some Magpul Ranger floorplates today, as that seems like my only solution for hunting where high cap mags are not allowed.

The last thing will be to get the Monolith Tri-Rail if/when one becomes available.

Good God AKSU! The AR Ammo section has a ton of great info in there but it makes War and Peace look like a comic book. It's huge.

When you say: "Hornady LE 5.56 TAP 70 grain" do you mean the 75 gain load, or am I just not able to find the 70 grain load? Hornady

Also, do you all think that 60 grain loads will shoot well through the FS2K's 1/7" barrel? (I have a bunch of Black Hills 60 gr rounds to practice with).

Thanks again everyone for the good info.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:47:02 AM EDT
Also, Hornady's website does not seem to explain:

* What "TAP" means;

* What type of bullets are put into its TAP ammo (it appears from their pics that the 55 and 60 grain versions have something like V-Max bullets, and the 75 grain variant has a FMJ or something else).

Can/will anyone splain?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:11:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 7:14:01 AM EDT by motown_steve]

Also, Hornady's website does not seem to explain:

* What "TAP" means;

Tactical Application Police

* What type of bullets are put into its TAP ammo (it appears from their pics that the 55 and 60 grain versions have something like V-Max bullets, and the 75 grain variant has a FMJ or something else).

They differ. Although they are accurate, that is not their primary purpose. The TAP .223 ammo is designed to fragment shallow and not over penetrate. I keep the 55 gr and the 75 TAP for defense. In Jello tests, the 55 gr ammo penetrated a total of 8 inches and fragmented at about 2 inches of depth. The 75 grain penetrates to 12 inches, and also fragments at 2", but it doesn't fragment as much as the 55 gr.

The purpose is for the round to cause a lot of damage to the vital organs of the intended recipient by fragmenting shallow, but not over penetrate and put other people at risk.

Can/will anyone splain?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:35:19 AM EDT

Thanks all.

I ordered the E.R.T. sling. I even ordered the "discounted Weapons Catch Adapter" at about $7 without the slightest understanding of what it might be or do.

I'll order some Magpul Ranger floorplates today, as that seems like my only solution for hunting where high cap mags are not allowed.

The last thing will be to get the Monolith Tri-Rail if/when one becomes available.

Good God AKSU! The AR Ammo section has a ton of great info in there but it makes War and Peace look like a comic book. It's huge.

When you say: "Hornady LE 5.56 TAP 70 grain" do you mean the 75 gain load, or am I just not able to find the 70 grain load? Hornady

Also, do you all think that 60 grain loads will shoot well through the FS2K's 1/7" barrel? (I have a bunch of Black Hills 60 gr rounds to practice with).

1:7 Twist, at least my FS, shoots everything from 55 grains to well into the 70's just fine. I generally shoot 69 grain MatchKings, and those are frighteningly accurate out of it. The Black Hills stuff will do just fine, but obviously when switching loads, confirm your zero if your next shots might matter.

From a personal defense/2 legged varmint standpoint, TAP ammo is the way to go if you can afford it. Depending on whom you want to believe, TAPs are loaded with essentially A-Max bullets, and in the heavier loadings are probably quite effective.

On the ammo discussion forum for 5.56, others seem to feel that M193 type ammo is also an acceptable choice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:47:59 AM EDT
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to shoot this thing firs titme next week at the NRA range (I live close by). Still trying to decide whether to get a magnifier to go with my EOTech. If so, any recommendations? I like the idea of the flip-to-the side models, but I've never used one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:08:57 PM EDT

Thanks all.

My mistake. It's the 75 grain load.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 2:15:26 PM EDT by AKSU]
DBLTAP
Top Top