Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 9:27:07 AM EDT
I have a friend who has a SBR for sale. I have a NFA trust, and would like to purchase it. How does the process work for a private party sale? I've never purchased a NFA weapon from a private party & am curious on how it works. Thanks

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#1]

It's a form 4 transfer if you are both in the same state.
You should be able to sit down and fill it out together without too much trouble.
He retains possession until it is approved. He will receive the approved form as he is the seller.
You go pick it up from him after the stamp is in hand.
The details are up to you two with regard to money changing hands.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#2]
The best part about this is you can play while you wait.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a form 4 transfer if you are both in the same state.
You should be able to sit down and fill it out together without too much trouble.
He retains possession until it is approved. He will receive the approved form as he is the seller.
You go pick it up from him after the stamp is in hand.
The details are up to you two with regard to money changing hands.

View Quote

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
how does purchasing a used class 3 item work in regards to the Engraving?  Do you "strike out" the original engraving?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how does purchasing a used class 3 item work in regards to the Engraving?  Do you "strike out" the original engraving?
View Quote

The original engraving is still valid as they were the manufacturer of the firearm.  The next person is merely doing a transfer, not creating a new weapon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]
so in that case does it need additional engraving with the new owners name/trust?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top