Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2011 1:19:21 PM EDT
I am new to the Garand world here and just picked up my rifle from the CMP but did not order any ammo before hand. I have some surplus ordered from the CMP but it looks like they are running about 3-4 months behind on those orders. So I need to order some ammo so I can shoot this rifle.

Is the Prvi that AIM is selling decent ammo for this rifle or should I be specifically be looking for milsurp.?

thanks

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
39Lasalle––

Pick up a Schuster nut from Midway.  Then you can shoot any ammo you want, pretty much.

––Eight_Ring

ETA:  Not sure where in you are in PA, but you could check in with ORION 7, I think he had some HXP for sale.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Make a deal for some HXP with someone you know............

As Whimpy says,

"I'll gladly pay you ________ for some ammo today."

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
39Laslle––

I was on the CMP website last night, and apparently shipping is speeding up––you should have your ammo in no time.

To understand why commercial ammo is a no-no in the Garand, google "Garand + M2 spec + port pressure + Commercial ammo".

The Schuster nut I was referencing is a really good work-around.  It will also tighten up your groups by about 25%.

Here is a link:.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=777146#productTabReviews

Good luck.

––Eight_Ring
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link for the shuster nut. I just received the Garand Collectors Assos. Magazine and saw they had an article on this.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
i've been shooting m-1's for 30 years long before adjustable gas plugs were invented- stick with any brand 147-150 FMJ ammo (fed american eagle, privi, rem-umc, winchester white box or gi surplus from the U.S. or any other country) and you'll be fine. If you reload which is a great money saver in calibers like 06- most manuals have m-1 specific loads that will run fine. The key is to not put any heavy bullet hunting rounds with slow burning powders in them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i've been shooting m-1's for 30 years long before adjustable gas plugs were invented- stick with any brand 147-150 FMJ ammo (fed american eagle, privi, rem-umc, winchester white box or gi surplus from the U.S. or any other country) and you'll be fine. If you reload which is a great money saver in calibers like 06- most manuals have m-1 specific loads that will run fine. The key is to not put any heavy bullet hunting rounds with slow burning powders in them.

Captain127––

I'd like to point out that your advice––to go ahead and shoot any commercial ammo on the shelf––contradicts the best advice of the most knowledgeable shooters.

If you would like a more strenuous rebuttal, you should post the advice you offered above on either Jouster or the CMP website.

––Eight_Ring

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I did not say just shoot any commercial ammo- I said the 147-150 grain fmj military style ammo is fine for an M-1.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did not say just shoot any commercial ammo- I said the 147-150 grain fmj military style ammo is fine for an M-1.

Its not the bullet weight that is the issue, its the powder and the associated prot pressures the unkown powders can create.

I agree sticking to the lighter weights are a good idea, but its the powder/pressure curves that can casue the issues.

Calling Federal/Hornady/Winchester will confirm this.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Captain127––

I'd like to point out that your advice––to go ahead and shoot any commercial ammo on the shelf––contradicts the best advice of the most knowledgeable shooters.

If you would like a more strenuous rebuttal, you should post the advice you offered above on either Jouster or the CMP website.

––Eight_Ring

Remington told me their 150 grain Core-Lokt is a nogo in an M1 as well.
ETA-I didn't see you specified FMJ.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
thats corelok not fmj also hunting ammo.I've been shooting garands along time never had a problem  white box winchester, pmc,federal as long as you stay in 147 to 150 fmj.If it is softpoint, corelok any hunting ammo no go in m1.And  don't use remington 155 to hot for garand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
thats corelok not fmj also hunting ammo.I've been shooting garands along time never had a problem  white box winchester, pmc,federal as long as you stay in 147 to 150 fmj.If it is softpoint, corelok any hunting ammo no go in m1.And  don't use remington 155 to hot for garand.

I'll once again repeat it for the fucking hard headed folks. CALL REMINGTON, WINCHESTER, AND HORNADY and they will TELL YOU themselves that the propellants loaded into commercial 147 and 150 grain ammunition is NOT SUITABLE for the M1 Garand.

Only Hornady and American Eagle make proper ammuntion, and the boxes are marked as such.

Jimi, knock it off with your poor advice. The best and most notable shooters in the country (and the largest ammunition manufacturers in the country) are telling you its improper, you would do well to listen. This is a TECH forum, not a "give half assed/possibly dangerous advice" forum, so unless you can back up what you're preaching, chill.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

which is why I edited my post very soon after posting to say I didn't see that FMJ was specified. tell you what, if you're not using an adjustable plug you can risk your rifle all you want with any commercial ammunition on the shelf. I'll stick to GI M2 ball and my handloads from published Garand loads. We are both doing what we think is safe in our own rifles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#13]
So the take away from all of this is that A) while the Garand action is VERY strong, but that B) port pressure actually matters.

The recoil spring on the Garand is designed to slow and reverse an operating rod traveling with a predetermined force and velocity––that produced by M1 or M2 Ball ammo.  Weak pressure means that the Garand will not cycle reliably.  Overwhelm the specs with higher port pressure and the end result is a beat to shit op rod camming channel and maybe even a broken receiver heel.

The Schuster nut is pretty much an ideal compromise––and they are on sale at Midway.  Good to keep one on the shelf for "just-in-case".

Did I mention that they tend to tighten up your groups?  My personal experience was an increase in accuracy of 25% on a service grade rifle––YMMV.

––Eight_Ring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top