Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 8:44:27 PM EDT
So I have a Dillon 550 that I've loaded thousands and thousands of pistol rounds on over he past 12 or so years.  Trying to break into rifle reloading, mostly .223 for my new prairie dog bolt gun as well as to help feed the ARs.  Would eventually branch into some other low-production rifle   stuff (.30-06, 7.5 Swiss, etc.).

But loading rifle intimidates me, especially on a progressive.  I've always figured I'd buy a Rock-chucker or something.  Learn how to do rifle, step by step, and slowly.   So as luck would have it, a good buddy of mine bought a 550 years ago when he saw how much I was shooting, but then he never even set it up.  Fast forward eight years and he's divorced, cleaning out his garage, and sells it to me for a song, still dusty in the Dillon packaging.  I figure I don't need 2 550s, so maybe I can find a single-stager looking to make the leap to progressive and we trade?

How's this plan sound to you?  What would be a good trade?  Is the Rock-chucker the obvious press, or what else is out there?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the choices are three - Redding T-7, Forster Coax and RCBS Rockchucker.

[

If I were buying another single stage it would be the T-7, but the Coax would be tough to pass up.  There's nothing wrong with a Rockchucker but these other two have it beat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
i've got a single stage RCBS rs press, with uniflow powder measure that i'm looking to get rid of.  My uncle gave it to me, but i'm looking to load pistol rounds so i've been checking out the 550.  interested?

Please use IM's to members if you wish to trade/buy/sell items. Read the Conduct Code (right side of every page) for more info.
As a new member, I will give you a break instead of editing your post. Any questions IM me. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, with two 550s as a resource, I'd go the other way, sell both, and get a 650 with casefeeder.  
I started pistol on a 550 and then expanded to rifle calibers, specifically the .223.  The big difference between pistol and rifle handloading is case prep.  You see, with necked cases you have to process your brass ahead of time before you can reload it.  As part of the case prep process, you must trim your brass and that can be a pain or a snap depending what you buy to do it.  
So you have to handle the brass twice as much as with pistol brass and that's where a casefeeder really shines.  Add to that a Dillon trimmer on your case prep cycle and rifle brass isn't as intimidating as it first appears.  After I got my 650, casefeeder, and Dillon trimmer, I was in heaven.  Below is a writeup I post from time to time showing the steps I use to reload rifle calibers and why I picked the Dillon trimmer over the Giraud.
There are many different steps one can perform on a rifle case prior to reloading it to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of each round.  I require
an efficient and timely reloading process. For my needs, I've found many those
processes to be too time consuming and unnecessary as I was looking for 1MOA accuracy and speed and ease of reloading and I can achieve that without those extra steps.

Straight walled calibers don't usually require trimming and therefore, can be
processed and reloaded in a single cycle. Necked calibers do require trimming
and therefore require both a case prep and reloading cycle. It should be noted
that no consumer press currently made can perform case prep including trimming
of a necked caliber as well as reloading in a single pass. Therefore, a
separate case prep cycle followed by a reloading cycle is required with all
currently available presses.

That brings me to my choice of a trimmer. While the Giraud is a fine machine,
it trims as a completely separate step that requires one to hand process each
case. I'm satisfied with the job the Dillon trimmer does and chose it primarily
because it is mounted on my case prep toolhead and therefore, it trims during
the case prep cycle without me touching the brass. Therefore, it eliminates
completely the separate trimming step. In addition, because it is mounted on
the press, it will trim the brass to your set length every time the brass is
process automatically without any action on your part.

Here are
my personal necked rifle reloading steps on my XL650 w/casefeeder for
information. I also use a Dillon trimmer in my case prep process. There are
other ways to do it, but this works well for me and my XL650 w/casefeeder. I
check my brass twice during the brass prep process (after initial cleaning and
then again after cleaning the lube off) and then again after I've completed
reloading the rounds just to make sure I've caught any bad brass and/or rounds.

Brass Prep (using your case prep toolhead setup):

1. Inspect
Brass

2. Tumble
/ Clean Brass - Lizard Litter Walnut & Turtle Wax car polish - 1 hr max

3. Lube Brass - Dillon Spray Lube not One-Shot

4. Install Case Prep Toolhead in XL650 - confirm adjustments

• Dillon
Decapper / Resizer die in #1 - I resize and decap at this stage

• Dillon
Trimmer in #4 - I have the die set to just touch the case but trim at the
proper length

5. Drop
Brass in Casefeeder and crank handle to Decap / Resize and Trim - if necessary

6. Tumble / Remove Lube - Lizard Litter Walnut - 10 minutes max

7. Inspect
brass again and Dillon Case Gauge - Lot samples: 10% of total. If question,
then gauge every case.

8. Swage -
only if needed

9. Store
prep'd brass for reloading in future

Note
that I neither chamfer, de-burr the case neck, nor clean the primer pockets.

You may decide to include these steps in your process.  For me these
processes are unnecessary.  I don't do Bullseye shooting and never clean
my primer pockets to achieve the accuracy I'm looking for and, the Dillon Super
Swage does a great job at both removing the crimp and swaging a uniform primer
pocket and, the Dillon trimmer leaves a smooth, 4° slanted, bur free edge and, I
use boat tailed bullets so inside chamfering to aid in bullet seating has been
unnecessary to achieve MOA accuracy.

Reloading
(using your reloading toolhead setup):

1. Install
Reloading Toolhead in XL650, fill powder measure, primer feed, and bullet bin -
confirm adjustments

• Lee
Universal Decapper die in #1 - to remove any media in flash hole

• Dillon
Powder die in #2

• Dillon
Powder Check die in #3

• Dillon
Bullet Seater in #4

• Dillon
FCD in #5

2. Drop
Brass in Casefeeder and crank handle while adding bullets

3. Inspect
finished rounds

4. Box and
label

Go to range and make empty brass to start cycle once again.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I do all my rifle sizing on a Rock Chucker, finish off the rounds on either a 550B or 650
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#6]
i have 3 single stage presses on my bench, the only reason i'v thought about getting a progressive is for pistol but i havnt been shooting as much of that recently.
and realy, with 3 single stage presses its prolly not much slower then a progessive, i just have to move from one stage to the next manualy.
yea, i love my single stages presses
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty happy with the Lee Classic Cast
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#8]
My experience. Started loading .223 on the 550B but soon realized I was using it as a pseudo-single-stage.  Bought a T-7 turret and couldn't be happier.  Still use the 550B for my pistol rounds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think the choices are three - Redding T-7, Forster Coax and RCBS Rockchucker.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/images/stories/media/67000.jpghttp://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/images/press.gif[https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/item/FullA/09356.jpg

If I were buying another single stage it would be the T-7, but the Coax would be tough to pass up.  There's nothing wrong with a Rockchucker but these other two have it beat.

Same here.

I have a Rock Chucker & it works just fine...and I've pondered getting a progressive quite a bit, but I keep going back to the T-7 in my thoughts.

I just like the idea of having 3 sets of dies ready to go with a simple turn of the turret.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.  That T-7 is looking pretty good.  Found a guy who might just be at the edge of shooting enough to warrant reloading, and if he starts reloading, of course he'll shoot more.  Might sell the press to him for the cost of the T-7.  I'm sure I could get a bit more out of it if I tried but every new shooter is a win for all of us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top