Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/16/2002 2:37:12 PM EST
Anyone ever seen these rifles? I saw one in a local gunshop today. This thing was light as a feather! I have never heard of them and am wondering if they are any good.

www.proord.com/products_body_t97.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:21:48 PM EST
There were some problems in the original production run, but they may have been fixed. They should sell for $800 or so. Check out the type 97s, it has a scout rail and iron sights.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:46:20 AM EST
I have seen 2 of these that have cracked , the first one had a crack at 7 O'clock in the ejection port 1/2" long and the lower cracked vertically through the safety sel on both sides ! The second just had a crack out of the ejection port. Personally I wouldn't buy one after seeng these.
That Fortier guy that does reviews on miitary type stuff has a review of the new 97 in one of the gun magazines this month, He seemed to like it but he really didn't say much about long term durability...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:56:15 AM EST
Many owners experienced sheered boltheads and some other nasty stuff. I don't know if I would spend money on one.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:50:44 AM EST
That's all I needed to hear. I'm probably going to go with a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:30:32 AM EST
Back before the board changed a little, Prof. Ord had a forum in the Industry Section. The fact that a bunch of Prof Ord rifle owners were trying to get a class action lawsuit going against the company did a lot to persuade me against them. That forum was so filled with complaints and people who sent their guns back 2, 3 and even 4 times was sad to see...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:35:21 AM EST
I shot one a friend of mine bought. Was not impressed. The thing would not fire 5 consecutive rounds without a malfunction. It was brand new-out of the box and lubricated to the manual's specs. I shot my Colt M4 right beside it and had zero malfunctions out of 400+ rounds
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:15:43 AM EST
They are absolute crap...

I've owned 2 of them...

First one was nothing but problems, so I returned it to my dealer for a refund...

About a year later, I figured the problems with the first one must have been a fluke, so I bought another one...

Big mistake...

The bolt broke in half after ONLY 2 shots from a brand new gun...
Not wanting to give-up as easy this time, I replaced te bolt with a spare USGI bolt that I modified to fit the POI barrel extension...

The gun still had problems...

I opened up and radiused the ejection port to match USGI specs, polished the feed ramps, installed a USGI bolt carrier, Heavy steel buffer, USGI buffer tube, Heavy Wolff buffer spring, installed an A2 stock, and replaced the extractor spring with a HD Wolff spring & D-fender O-ring...

After my 10-12 hours of gunsmithing, the gun worked great for about 400-500 rounds...

THEN, the gas tube broke/blew off the front sight base...

POI mailed me a new gas tube and bolt ONLY after I sent them the original broken parts...

They also were nice enough to write me a note saying any future warranty on the gun is completely voided due to my gunsmithing...

I put the gun back together in it's original configuration, and promptly traded it off at the gunshop...

I will never buy another, and will tell everyone I can about how much of a piece of shit and rip-off these guns are...
Top Top