Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2003 9:37:41 PM EDT
Howdy all.

Want to run something by you guys, and get your opinion.

I found this auction via one of the gunboards (might have been here, I don't remember):

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2183859116&category=135

Offering these G3 kits:

The description states:

This is a Dutch Auction. I have 13 Heckler & Koch HK G3 .308 rifle kits. They all look just like the one pictured. The bores are in good shape on all of them. Shiny and no pitting. Very nice. There is no FFL required as these kits do not come with the upper reciever so I can ship it straight to your house. I am asking $199.00 plus $10.00 shipping. Thanks for looking.

I receive kits that look like this:

Then we get to this particular kit:

Apologies if you can't see - the cocking tube/housing is dented/bent in the area of the circle.

The following pictures show exactly how far the cocking handle can move forward:

The stocks, forearms and pistol grips are in horrible condition (gouged, painted, scratched, dinged, you name it).

Finally, and maybe I was a bit naive here, but the auction advertised these as Heckler and Koch HK G3 kits.

What I received were FMP rifles (or, built on FMP receivers) covered with rust.

Am I out of line to ask for a refund and to return these kits?  It appears I can get the same quality kit from FAC for significantly less, and an actual quality kit from FAC for about what I paid for these.

I'd appreciate your opinions...
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Dude, those parts look like they were pulled from the ocean floor.

I would definately ask for a refund.  The seller must have assumed that you wnated parts that were atleast functional which those do not appear to be.  Those parts are nowhere near what he described or represented with his picture.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, this is certainly good news.

I emailed the gentlemen about these kits yesterday, and he responded this morning, willing to give me a full refund.

It's reassuring to know that there are still a good amount of honorable and moral businessmen out there (not meant to be a slight to any other vendors, it's just that it seems there's more people willing to screw you than there are willing to do the right thing anymore...).
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of the Century arms kits a few years ago with the telescoping stock.  The kit was $300, I figured the stock was worth that alone.  This kit is pretty compared to what I got.  I wasn't building a rifle, just looking for some spare parts for my 91.  After bead blasting the stock and barrel, scavenging the trigger assembly, I threw the rest away.  Ironically, the rifle had obviously seen hard, hard use, but hadn't been fired that I could tell.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
kythri,

How old are the G3 kits. Meaning when were they imported. The kit isn't cut to the current rulings by ATF. The cocking tube would be cut also if it was still in/attached to the cut receiver.
Check with the company that sold you this parts kit.

We have most parts you will need when building the G3. We sell only factory NEW, HK Licensed parts.
Best regards,

Frank
POF-USA

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well shit, I just bought one of these kits for parts a week ago.. Hopefully mine doesn't look like that!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
OMFG!  That is disgusting.  I sold a used Imbel FAL parts kit on ebay for cheap, it was in more than serviceable shape.  I had my gunsmith check it out before I sold it to make sure what the buyer was getting was exactly as I described.  Bore and barrel were in pristine shape.  The buyer received it and said there was frosting in the barrel... bullshit there was, but I took it back.  Once again had my smith checked it and he laughed his ass off, no pitting or frosting at all.  Some people expect too much, and then there are people like you who just expect serviceable - not perfection.  There is no way this kit could be considered serviceable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Here's our cocking tube assembly. This should fix your problem.
Best regards,

Frank
POF-USA
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are the $99 G3 kits FAC was selling a few months ago.  I picked up two from them and they were horrible except for the internals.  I bead blasted the outside and refinished in Alumahyde. Not worth $200,  even $99 was borderline.  Joe
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I bought one of the Century arms kits a few years ago with the telescoping stock.  The kit was $300, I figured the stock was worth that alone.  This kit is pretty compared to what I got.  I wasn't building a rifle, just looking for some spare parts for my 91.  After bead blasting the stock and barrel, scavenging the trigger assembly, I threw the rest away.  Ironically, the rifle had obviously seen hard, hard use, but hadn't been fired that I could tell.

It was obviously french military surplus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top