Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2014 11:43:21 PM EDT
I have a bolt action rifle that is drilled and tapped for iron sights. The holes that were drilled (done at the factory) are on the barrel. I took the Iron sights off years ago. The rear holes that are drilled are missing their screws. No clue what has happened to them. These holes are 1/2 an inch or so after the chamber on the barrel. Obviously the holes don't go down through the barrel. Is there any issue shooting the gun without the screws in the drilled iron sight holes?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Zero issues. If the holes bother you go to the hardware store and buy some set screws to fill them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Most thread sizes used on firearms are not standard SAE type threads. So it is very unlikely the local hardware store will have the necessary screw size. You can try calling the manufacturer and see if they will sell (or most likely send for free) some filler screws.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I know where to order more screws for it, just curious if it is safe to shoot without the screws in.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I know where to order more screws for it, just curious if it is safe to shoot without the screws in.
View Quote

Yes.
The plug screws are for appearance, to keep dirt out of the holes, and to protect the threads in the holes.
They add little strength.

For a really clean appearance, Brownell's sell dome-head plug screws.  These prevent the screws from going in too far, and give a nice finished look.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zero issues. If the holes bother you go to the hardware store and buy some set screws to fill them.
View Quote

Good luck with that.
As was mentioned, they're 6-48s, most likely, and the only hardware store that carries those is Brownells.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Who deleted my posts?

Edited to add:
Nevermind.
(Same question posted by OP in a different forum.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top