Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 2:05:32 PM EDT
My understanding is you pay $10 more for the ProChrono so you can see the velocity of each round as opposed to just the high, low and average with the Pal.  I am missing anything?  Which one should I get?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
For $10, I'd say yes.

The individual velocities allow you to calculate the standard deviation, and they also can help identify why a particular shot didn't perform like the others. Barrel harmonics could change or the distance involved might be long enough  to see a change in POI.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The 'regular' ProChrono will calculate SD and ES for you.
From Chuck Hawks:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/pro-chrono.htm
The sensing units are identical in both models. The extra fifteen bucks you'll pay for the ProChrono Digital nets you nine shot strings, with data automatically compiled for each string: minimum/maximum velocities, standard and extreme deviations, and the ability to connect the optional remote control that comes complete with an infrared printer interface. Both are extremely flexible units, with a velocity range of from 22 fps to 7000 fps. I believe that will cover most firearms available today!
View Quote

For the $10 difference, get the 'regular' non-PAL version.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for the standard version.  For another $15 or so  (assuming you're good with a soldering iron) you can make a cable that will hook it to a Win7 laptop, giving you remote control and the ability to export data.  I jUst used mine today, and it was a wonderful thing.

ETA:  I clocked a carpenter bee at 32FPS today.  Right in the middle of a 10 shot string of .223 rounds...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the "standard" ProChrono.

Absolutely great piece of equipment.

I'd asked a bunch of questions here on the forums before making the decision to purchase.  The ability to connect it into a laptop during shooting-sessions is an available accessory, and there is supposedly a future cable that will allow it to be tied into a smart-phone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good, standard it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top