Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/10/2003 9:25:34 AM EDT
Walked into a local gunshop to check out a SAR-1 I saw them advertising. What do I find sitting on the rack but an Israeli pattern heavy barrel FAL (with bipod) built on an Imbel receiver. This gun has been used but appears to be in reasonably good condition. The shop is asking $599.00 for the gun - good deal or no?? I confess that I don't know squat about FAL's - and was hoping someone here could shed some light.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 10:58:35 AM EDT
What what little I know and read it sounds like a great price. You'll need to make sure it has the required amount of compliance parts. Check over at www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php for a more experienced answer.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:59:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushman_269:
Walked into a local gunshop to check out a SAR-1 I saw them advertising. What do I find sitting on the rack but an Israeli pattern heavy barrel FAL (with bipod) built on an Imbel receiver. This gun has been used but appears to be in reasonably good condition. The shop is asking $599.00 for the gun - good deal or no?? I confess that I don't know squat about FAL's - and was hoping someone here could shed some light.

That seems more like a Century L1A1 price. If it is truely built on a real Imbel and is in good shape with good qulity compliance parts, that is a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:57:21 AM EDT
thats either a god price on a real israeli FAL or a realy bad price on a cai. if it has israeli h'guards on it it may well be real, since the cai is inch pattern.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:06:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2003 9:08:19 AM EDT by Bushman_269]
Update - closer inspection reveals that it appears to be a FrankenFal. The furniture, lower receiver, barrel & gas assembly appear to be Israeli (Hebrew lettering including on safety). It has the Israeli style mag catch and takes metric mags and locks open on empty. One thing I found odd - it has the folding cocking handle off an L1A1 not the Israeli style knob. The receiver is Imbel but marked L1A1 imported by Century? Still sound like a keeper??

Thanks for looking and replying.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:28:42 AM EDT
Scary. It sure might be worth the money... but its scary. With real Isreali parts, barrel, gas block and lower, the price is real low. If the angry beavers at Century botched the assembly, it probably still isn't bad because it can be fixed. With an Ibmel receiver and good quality parts, even a bad assembly job can be overcome with some TLC.

Hmmm... now that I think about it more, it could be a Centruy imported receiver and a standard metric build. The folding handle may be an FSE for the metric. If that is the case, its a really good deal. The L1A1 markings are confusing though. I dunno.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:16:16 PM EDT
As long as it is a real imbel receiver, anything else can be fixed. Good deal.
Top Top