Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 4:37:53 PM EDT
At the austin funshow I saw a M1 garand gas trap. Matching as far as manufacturer, pretty nice rifle all in all. Man was asking 12grand but would take as low as 7500.

Is this a true 'value' for a gas trap. I am assuming the price is based on the few numbers made of the gas trap model.

I am having fun reading about garands while I am waiting on my CMP FG to come in.

Just curious about the price.

Information is welcome since I am a newbie to the m1 and I have figured out I will need lots and lots of ammo for it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
In the Spring 05 GCA Journal, Bruce Canfield wrote that original or substantially original gas traps are selling now for $20,000 to $50,000. Damn. A gunshow gas trap for 12k is either a hell of a deal, or more likely a resto with reproduction gas trap parts.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
or more likely a resto with reproduction gas trap parts.

+1. A genuine gas trap Garand would sell for much more than that, if it were legit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I sold a genuine gas trap made in May 1940 for $38K about 6 weeks ago. Beautiful rifle. Charles.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty new to the Garands as well.  Recently acquired an M1 manufactured in September of 1942.  She's all original, has all of the buttstock accessories, wood is AWESOME!, and I can find NO TRACES of carbon anywhere on or in her... the metal to metal parts show only the most minor wear from hand cycling...  Quite a find I think... I'm not big on safe queens, but I'm not firing this one!  Gonna have to find another for shooting! Any idea of the value of this rifle   Also, what does the "gas trap" model look like (anyone with a picture?) and what makes it of such high value? Thanks!

*would also like to find a 1942 bayonet for her if anyone happens to be sitting on one (figuritively!)... Full length preffered!  An original bi-pod, and 1942 web gear would be pretty cool too!

Bill C.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I know the rifle you're talking about.  The barrel and gas system, I believe, are restoration parts.  I talked to the guy at Tulsa he told me the same price.  I was not interested in buying it, I just wanted to hold one and check it out.  That's the first time I'd seen a gas trap so I was curious.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]
5 years ago at Tulsa the price was $6995 and it was a "representative restoration". The value of the real parts is driving the price up.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
BC_SGT_USMC
The high value is determined by the marketplace. There are about 50 or so genuine documented authentic gas traps in existence. There are many thousands of collectors. So you can get whatever price the market will pay.

I was offered $1,500 just for the buttplate on my recently sold gas trap. Very rare stuff as most were converted to the standard M1 after the gas trap was determined to be too sensitive by the Army Ordnance Corps.

Try <armscollectors.com> to research the history of your M1 and other military rifles.

Charles the Gunsmith.   CWO-3 USMC (ret).
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Gunner!  Headed to do some research now.

Semper Fi!

Bill
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You are welcome Sgt. Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Marine. IM if you have any questions. Semper Fi. Charles.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I sold a genuine gas trap made in May 1940 for $38K about 6 weeks ago. Beautiful rifle. Charles.  

Charles, can you post some pictures of that rifle sometime?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#11]
There was a genuine Gas Trap in Tulsa 4 years ago that I looked at - it came from Fort Chaffee in Fort Smith, AR (this was how it escaped conversion to a gas port rifle like most did).  The asking price then was $35K.  This would be on the low end now for a genuine, non-restored rifle.  A restoration with all genuine parts would likely bring that much - the barrel, gas system, front sight, and op rod are worth over $10K by themselves.  A legitimate SPG stock that hasn't been modified for a doored-buttplate is probably worth $6-$7K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top