Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 6:29:23 PM EDT
This stock sports a ria over EB ( I wish it was an FB...) and a milled front sling ferrule. Looks to be untouched, but is cracked. I don't care, I wish this could speak.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The RIA over EB indicates that it was a post war re-build. If it was RIA over FB that would be an earlier re-build during the war. The stock has all of the indications that would be correct for what I suspect it is. I would bet money that this is an early stock. Somebody here should know. The ferrule is peened and I can take it off without destroying the stock. I don't know the difference between and early WRA ferrule and a SA ferrule, they look the same to me.

Its got a very slanted cut for the trigger group and receiver lugs. More than any other stock that I have ever seen. I can see the edges of the original cartouche, but can't make out what it reads. There is a way to do this but I cannot remember. I won't try to clean the stock up either. Its cracked bad through the left side of the receiver channel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice find. Nice pics.

I've never seen a milled ferrule up close. Thanks for that shot.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I found the original SA cartouche (VERY faint..) and what looks like a large "S" and "G" . Could this be an old SPG stock? Somebody here must know.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't look like a real early GHS Stock. If you could post a pic of the clip release cut out, butt of stock with buttplate removed , bottom of pistol grip and trigger group pads it would help in identifing it.
Also a pre war SPG would have a long channel and SA also supposodly used the SPG stamp on some postwar SA rebuilds. In any case SPG vintage could be determined by looking at the buttstock storage holes..

From the one pic it is a short channel stock. Late GHS's were short channel and all GAW's were short channels. If the clip latch cut is slanted and there is a small letter or # in the barrel channel than you might have a GHS. If no mark in channel and clip cut is straight and you can see a faint tiny ord wheel on bottom of grip than you might have a GAW stock.

The pictures just don't show enough details; The milled ferrule really doesn't mean it's an early stock, it's not uncommen to see them on later stocks even post wars that had them put on during a rebuild.

Hope this helps and not get ya more confused
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I can honestly say that I am sure that its a spg. I can see the "s" and "g". Its a short channel, straight clip latch cut, SA stock. The sling ferrule looks to be 100% original to the stock. Here are a few crappier photos....

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep , thats a Late type 2 SA stock post 1943. Are you sure it doesn't say JLG ?  No way that it could be a pre-war SPG stock.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would a 1943 have a milled front ferrule? Did some of those come that way? I suspect thta it's a NFR. I tried to clean up the area a tiny bit, but I cannot for the life of me see any letters below the original SA cartouche. I do see however the crossed cannons..pity that this one is cracked.

I have a boatload of WW2 Garand stocks that I have been slowly selling on Egay.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The milled follower was probably put on during rebuild. They used whatever parts were on hand.

Anyway Damn !! thats alot of M1 stocks
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
WRA stock Rear trigger pad inletting...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top