Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2006 12:27:50 PM EDT
Was planning on buying a M1, but was going to get the barrel cut to 10.5 inch. Can that be done? And can it be milled to take the drum mags?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy a 10.5 barrel from Kahr Arms, and have it installed.

The M1 Thompsons were designed not to take the drums, so no I don`t think that you could re-work it.

You could get a 1927A1, install the 10.5 barrel and get a horizontal foregrip. That way you could have a drum.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't shorten the Thompson barrels.  
The taper is such that once you cut it off, you can't install a front sight or Cutts compensator.
Note that Thompson barrels has an enlarged area on the muzzle that fits the front sight or Cutts.  
A shortened barrel won't have the enlarged area, and the diameter of the barrel is too small.

You can have a standard 10" Thompson barrel installed, but this is NO job for the local gunsmith or the do-it-yourselfer.  The Thompson barrels are torqued in TIGHT, and the forearm bar that extends from the receiver interferes with getting a good barrel vise setup.
This is a Pro ONLY job, and they had better have the right tools and their stuff together.

To convert an M1 type gun to use drums would require major milling of both the receiver and trigger group.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
How much am i looking at for the barrel swap?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why not just buy the SBR from Auto-Ordnance.  They sell them that way now.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heard the old one was better, and i can get the gun, barrel and tax stamp and be cheaper than new.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know the pricing, but there's several Thompson gunsmith's that do SBR and other custom Semi work:

www.hudsontradingpost.com/

www.tommygunner.com/pages/guns4sale/

There's also a very well known customizer in Colorado?? who does very well rated work.
He's known for altering the semi's too look almost exactly like a full-auto.
I can't find his name, but if you search some of the gun forums you should find him, or find the full-auto forums.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heard the old one was better, and i can get the gun, barrel and tax stamp and be cheaper than new.

I had a pre-kahr Auto-Ordnance 1911 which was the biggest hunk of shit firearm I've ever owned.  Not sure if that translates to their long guns, but since the day I parlayed that boondogle of a purchase off on someone else I swore I'd never buy another auto-ordnance product so long as I had life in my body.  

That said, when you say "gun, barrel and tax stamp" does that also include the gunsmithing fee to put the barrel on the gun?  I've found that those additional gunsmith fees sometimes turn what appeared to be a good idea at the time into something which only leaves me with a frown on my face and a hole in my wallet.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The guy that does the work in Colorado is Paul Krogh. He does awsome work and is really nice. You can go to Machinegunbooks.com and all they talk about is the Thompson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top