Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/13/2009 5:22:34 AM EST
Okay,regarding my previous post on Power Belt bullets I did some VERY low tech penetration tests.....
The bullets involved: Power Belts....348 grain Hollow Point lead....348gr copper clap HP.....405gr HP lead
Thompson Center MaxiBall 430 grain
CVA Buckslayer 375 grain
The back stop;I cut up a sheet of 3/4" plywood and a sheet of 2" styrofoam insulation into 1 foot squares.Then I alternated the two(one piece plywood with a chunk of styrofoam behind it followed by another plywood chunk and so on). When I had them set up I had over 50 inches of backstop.
I weighed and measured each bullet when I was done,in what would'nt surprise you if you knew me I left those numbers at home. So I'll try to remember the results as we go....

First up the lead 348; Backed by 110 grains of American Pioneer it penetrated 12.5" Expanded to around .75 and weighed around 250.
Next the 348 copper; same charge,penetrated 22.5" except for a bulge or two around the tip did not expand or lose any weight. Basically a solid.
The 405 lead Hp with 100 grains of powder went in 14.5" Expanded to around .80(I think) Still weighed a hair under 400(I think)
T/C maxiball; 100 grns powder went in 22" and again acted like a solid....Maybe expanded too .60 and still weighed in the 420's
CVA Buckslayer;100grns powder,21" and expanded too a bit over .60 Basically no weight lose
I shot a Hornady round ball just for giggles and it went in around 14 or 16". Smushed down damn near flat...It fell out my pocket before I could weigh or measure it.
My #1 son is bear hunting with me so he shot his .44 into it to see what happens....300 grain Hornadys pushed by 18.5 grains of H110 penetrated 18" the tip either shed or just smashed down. They DID NOT mushroom.
I also shot some 430 grain Hornady Great Plains Hollow Points. The back stop was so trashed by then I couldn't recover any of them
Oh, the rifle was a Cabelas Sporterized Hawken .54
So there you have it. If I get a chance I'll edit this with the exact expansions and weight retention numbers but we leave on Tuesday and I still don't know which bullet I'll use. (Leaning towards the Great Plain right now)

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:43:09 AM EST
What kind of distance were you shooting at?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:10:56 PM EST
30 yards....that's about how far the stands are from the bait so that's the distance I used.
I shot the Great Plains today to see how they grouped at 30 yards. Three shots/one hole. Fluke? Maybe,but that's the bullet I'm taking with me!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:23:35 PM EST
the GP and the Buffalo Bullet are excellent for large game. bear and elk.

they would be my personal choice. their accuracy in all of my BP rifles has always been excellent.
i have a target from around 1986 with 4 shots into 1 hole with open sights on a Renegade at 40 yards.
Top Top