Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/14/2005 6:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 7:19:13 AM EDT by James4]
[EDIT: To make it more comprehensible]

Can anyone give me recommendations on rifle mag pouches?

I like velcro closures such as found on the original Eagle front-zip vests because I can get the magazine out quickly. Buckles look extremely slow. I don't mind the buckles being there but I will likely not use them so the pouches need velcro too. I am wary of open top + bungee straps because they don't keep the dirt out.

In addition to 30-round M4/M16 mags I will also be running 20-round FN-FAL mags. I rarely put more than 1 mag per pouch since I forget to refasten the pouch after retrieving a magazine. I will likely be running with Magpuls and possibly put a carabiner on my support shoulder to clip partials into during tactical reloads.

On the Woosatch, I might try putting the rifle pouches high on the bib above the admin pouches and then put the admin pouches near my navel (below the rifle pouches). This is unorthodox...any recommendations against it? If I do put the rifle pouches high up on the bib, how many can fit there? Two (a double pouch)? Three (a triple pouch)? Four (two doubles side-by-side)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:18:40 PM EDT
I like the High Speed Gear Inc. pouches--found on their Warlord series chest rigs, and also available
as modular pouches. They have velcro patches with disabling flaps, adjustable fastex buckle
straps, and adjustable shock cord squeezers. Each will hold 3-AR 30s, 2-AK 30s, 2-AK 20s,
2-.308 20s, 1-military smoke grenade, or 1 water bottle. It'll even hold a large frame pistol,
at least as well as half the "tactical" holsters out there. They come as either singles or doubles.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/optacticalgear_1872_67764816

Ulrik

Disclaimer:
I get one tenth of one cent for each pouch sold, that can be directly
attributed to this sales pitch. Please buy early, and often.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 12:14:49 PM EDT by Freakzilla]
big plus 1

HSGI GEAR IS BOMBPROOF,

and this is the best "modular" pouch

I would not reccomend the mag pouches high setup,

You need to be able to access your mag pouches in any position, standing, kneeling, prone,

Plus I dont see how it would ride well

On top of that, you wont be able to see what you are fooling with with the general purpose pouches, as they will be out of sight.

I would reccomend a more mainstream setup, yet, if it is stupid and works, it is not stupid.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:44:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2005 7:46:32 PM EDT by CENTCOM_Survivor]
I third the HSGI ammo pouches, I have 4 on my Woo and carry 6 M4 mags, a loaded shotgun shell holder and two Israeli bandages in them.
What I like is the ability to go with the velcro or the buckles,,, or both. Plus there is a bungee cord to draw the pouch closed if needed. Very well designed!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:45:19 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like I will go with the HSGI pouches to go with my HSGI carrier.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:08:19 AM EDT

Do these HSGI rifle pouches have the divider in them? On MM they show them with dividers but the above pics don't seem to have a divider. Have they changed the design recently?
Top Top