Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2002 5:29:57 PM EDT
I bought my first handgun a couple of months ago, a Glock 17.  Now I'd like to buy my first rifle, an AR15.  Just like with my Glock, I plan to practice using it alot and also get some professional training.

Everyone has gently pushed me over here to AR15.com to get some questions answered, so here I am.  From lurking and reading comments, I've pretty much decided to get a Bushmaster, either the 20" version, or the 16" Dissipator.

Question #1  Bushmaster, good choice for a frst AR15?  

I plan to use it for plinking, target shooting at the range, and possibly using it in an IDPA type 3 gun match.  

Question #2  20" vs. Dissipator, pros and cons?  

Question #3  I might like to put an optical sight on it at some point, would that mean that the A3 version would make more sense?

Question #4  What should I expect to pay for an A3 Dissipator or an A3 20" model at a gun show in Texas?  (From an online retailer and then have it shipped to my FFL?  Used on the message boards here?  Is there an online retailer that generally has good prices on Bushmasters?)

Whew!  Thanks for reading and I welcome any comments, questions or suggestions...

-Bill    
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!  

1. Bushmaster is good quality. Good choice.
2. I don't know of any problems with either based upon what I have seen/heard.  I can't speak for the Dissipator model as I don't have one. Personally, I don't like the looks of it.  I have seen posts here from guys who love them.  I have a std 20" with an A2 upper, which is nice.  The only "pro/con" I can think of is the length of 20" may be a bit too long for CQB.
3. the A3/flattop upper is very versitile, I like the various options that are avail. plus you can always put a carry handle on if you want :)
4. sorry, I can't answer that one. maybe someone else can help...or take a look around in the EE or visit the websites of some of the dealers in the links under "information" on the AR15.com homepage.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on the area, but below $750 would be a good deal, $800 is about the most I would pay for an A2. An A3 with carry handle is generally about $50 or so more expensive. Check around the internet and Shotgun News or Gunlist for prices. That will give you the best idea of what you are willing to pay.    

check gunbroker.com also
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS will all give you good service.  I have three Olympic Arms that work for me.

You can use a pre-ban 30 round or any other hi cap magazine.

Before hanging anything on the muzzle, get lots of advice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi guy,
Hard to beat Bushmaster, I don't know much about the Dissipator except you get a 20" sight radius on a carbine, a plus.
I like what these guys are doing.
www.cavalryarms.com/
And these guys.
www.castle-arms.com/
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Where in TX are you?  If in the Houston area, maybe we can get together and you can try out my Bushy M4 A3 upper.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Bill,

I was the one in the NG's that recommended this place.

If you ever want to hook up and go to the range, I am in N. Dallas.  Got quite a few AR's/Glocks... so we share common interests!

Just shoot men an email if you want to hook up sometime.  We also have local AR15.com shoots.  Keep an eye in the meetings and events.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
First of all, Bushmaster is by far the most popular AR-15 manufacturer, and with good reason! Bushmaster is always a great choice.

The Dissipater is great for defensive use and most other applications. However, you might want to go with the 20” if you plan on using mil-spec ammo all the time, most ball ammo, especially the current M855, needs a relatively high velocity to fragment reliably at longer ranges.

I personally prefer the A2 because it is inherently tougher than non-permanent sights. But I must admit that the A3 is better if you want to use optical sights ALL the time.

The Dissipater and the 20incher cost about the same. I don’t know what they cost specifically in Texas, but they generally cost $800-$900 nation wide.

Muzzle brakes can be nice, but learn something about them before you decide to buy a gun with them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll go to the gunshow tomorrow and just check out what's there.  I think the 16" barrel A3 sounds like the ticket.

BTW, I'm from the Ft Worth area.  (Brouhaha, are you a fellow Horned Frog?)

I'll post a reply on what I find tomorrow...

-Bill
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
We currently have both 16 dissapator and 20 A2 Bushys...   Love them both...   Bushy includes the detachable handle when you buy the A3, so don't let your dealer charge you extra...  
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Bushy is probably the best first one to look for .....they are top quality more frequent and can be had very reasonable......my personal opinion......a2 20" std rifle....I`ve seen them often for $750......any bushy model is fine....you have to decide what you want.....the a2 will provide many hours of happy shooting with no ad`tl worries [costs] other than ammo.....if you find a "super deal" somewhere.....suggest you get back to this board with it .......good luck........
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
BTW, I'm from the Ft Worth area.  (Brouhaha, are you a fellow Horned Frog?)

Yep!  I'm a horny toad!  Graduated a couple of years ago.  I still go to Ft. Worth every once in a while as I have family there.  DonR, one of the Mods of the board lives on the east side of Ft. Worth.

When you say "fellow horned frog," does that mean that you're one as well?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#12]
www.discountfirearms.com/prices.asp?mid=75

I am not vouching for the guy as I have never done business with him. His prices look pretty good.

The dissy is the best of all worlds. 20" is just fine for 3 gun - the 4" is not gonna have a big impact on your time, lets just put it that way.

I have a Bushy shorty - I am very happy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I spent the afternoon at the gun show and saw a grand total of *1* new Bushmaster for sale.  A 16" barrel "shorty" with the fixed handle for $699.  The dealer that had it said he's supposed to get some A3's in stock this week so I'll stay in touch.  I'll also poke around online and see if there are any deals to be found.

So instead, I spent my money joining the NRA and buying 2 Surefires.  I wished I had known about all of this cool gun/knife/flashlight stuff a long time ago.  It's addicting as all get out.

Oh, Brouhaha, I graduated in '92.  I've mostly hung around Ft Worth, I just love that TCU/Hulen/Cultural District area.  Now I live up near the Keller area.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
www.aimsurplus.com

They only list a few bushmasters, but tell them what you want and they will quote it.  Best prices I have seen yet.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top