Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 1:06:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, I think that the rifle is fairly priced. It is definately not overpriced. The lack of an import mark is definately a plus, too. M1 Carbine prices are on the up-and-up. They are definately not going to get any cheaper. For the rifle that you described, I would pick it up.

You are almost correct about the RIA. It means Rock Island Arsenal (not armory...I think that is the company that makes those .45's). "EB" would be the inspector's cartouche. I say that you pick the rifle up and have a fun weekend!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any other opinions from the hive?

Yes.
If you don't buy it, I will!
That is a very good price for the rifle you describe.
As far as import marks go...did you field strip the rifle?
Normally they are found on the sides of the receiver, under the stock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any other opinions from the hive?

Yes.
If you don't buy it, I will!
That is a very good price for the rifle you describe.
As far as import marks go...did you field strip the rifle?
Normally they are found on the sides of the receiver, under the stock.

I didn't dig that far.  I only took off the upper handguard.  I thought they were always on the side of the barrel up by the muzzle.  The guy said it didn't have any, not sure how familiar he is with these rifles though.

That is where they normally are, and if you didn't see one, it probably doesn't have one.
Most import stamps look like billboards.
Either way, jump on it!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
The RIA over EB is a Rock Island Armory stamp and probably a rebuild stamp. I have a '03A3 that has that same stamp on the stock an it is a post war rebuild (looks new to me) I believe the time fram we're talking about is around '47 to early to middle 50's. My '03A3 came from the CMP's north store when I bought it last November, there was a rack full of '03A3's and All had the RIA over EB stamp on the stocks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
One more thing to check, if he lets you take it out of the stock.  Make sure the gas cylinder and screw are in good shape.  I've seen a few carbines over the years that have had cracked cylinders.  And if its cracked, the barrels toast.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What kind of function tests can I try to make sure it is in working order?

One thing to do is pull back slide and let it slam home .
Pull trigger should hear firing pin click.
Keep holding down trigger and rack slide again keeping pressure on trigger.
Release pressure on trigger . You shouldnt hear a click .
Then pull trigger again should hear firing pin click.

Also make sure safety works.

Check the slide stop make sure it holds back slide when engaged.      

Take a 30.06 round and do the bullet test to check muzzle wear. If it swallows it could be a little worn.

Very good price as well . If it checks out BUY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Post a WTB ad in the EE for carbine mags.
You will get them at a fair price.
Beyond that, cruise on over to fulton armory and pick up "the M1 carbine owners guide"
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Take a 30.06 round and do the bullet test to check muzzle wear. If it swallows it could be a little worn.

I hadnt heard of using that test on an M1 Carbine before.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I put it on layaway pending my tax refund.  I tore it down and gave it a good look over.  There is definitely no import mark anywhere.  Looks to have been shot very little after the arsenal rebuild.  What parts should be numbered?  Where can I get some GI mags, this doesn't come with any?

I think I've read about a couple types of different rear sights on the carbine?  Which is correct for a '44 Underwood retrofit with bayo lug?

How is the wolf .30 ammo?

Any accessories or spare parts I should be looking to pick up while I anxiously await the day I can bring it home?

M1 Carbine mags
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hadnt heard of using that test on an M1 Carbine before.

Well start cruising some of the auction sites and take alook at how many carbine have the "passes bullet test " in their add. Works in a pinch if you dont have a Muzzle Wear Gauge.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]

I bought my M1 Carbine mags from Coledistributing.Com . I bought both the #MAG18's rated very Good and the #MAG17 rated Excellent.

They were pretty close in their description.

Enjoy your new carbine & nice score ..
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
   I bought my M1 Carbine mags from Coledistributing.Com . I bought both the #MAG18's rated very Good and the #MAG17 rated Excellent.

They were pretty close in their description.

Enjoy your new carbine & nice score ..

Great link!  Mine from J&G work flawlessly but look, well, very good at least
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top