Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/19/2002 9:20:53 PM EST
Okay, saw the current Popular Mechanics issue today (in stores now.... has some kind of space elevator on cover).

Flipping through.... in the section that talked about many little different things.... was a rifle. They called it an M4 (something variant) that used AK type mags. Something about a rifle that would be able to use the enemies mags against them..... Any how, it said it had a longer upper, bolt, lower and firing pin to accept the mag. Mag well and mag release were modifed to accept it too says the story.

Any one happen to have this issue to post the name of the manufacturer? (Sounded like it was already accepted by the Defence Department... I think.....the way it was written.)

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:24:16 PM EST
Robinson arms makes a prototype rifle similar to what you described but they don't have any in production yet, I think it will retail for around $1500.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:27:57 PM EST
No.... it wasn't Robinson.... I'm sure of that. I've seen their weopon.

This had the lines of the AR rifle... except for the AK type mag.... that's why it caught my attention.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:47:02 PM EST
Haven't seen the article, but maybe its the Knight's Armament SR-47. Looks like an M4A3 Carbine, accept its chambered in 7.62 X 39 Russian. The mag well is shorter and cut at an angle on one side. It was a prototype at this years SHOT SHOW, saw one with a Suppressor.
It was high speed, low drag!

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:16:36 PM EST

Introduced at the 2002 Shot Show in Las Vegas. The SR-47 is based on the SR-15 design, but it chambered in 7.62 x 39mm. The SR-47 accepts all double stack AK-47 style magazines, and has a free-floated barrel. This unit also offer drop-free magazine release. This unit will be available in a limited quantities commercial version (possibly less sound suppressor) by the third quarter of this year. Optional front and rear sights will be available also.

March 14th, 2002 - Knight's has cancelled production of the commercial version of this unit.

Just for the record, the grapevine had the price of this post-ban weapon in the $4,000 range. Ouch. No wonder they cancelled it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:42:26 PM EST
They may have just cancelled it because thats one ugly mf...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 12:20:27 AM EST
Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think it looks any worse than a typical AR15. If it were priced similarly to a comparable post-ban I'm sure it would sell well. Are you listening, ArmaLite, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, etc?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:00:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Boomer:
Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think it looks any worse than a typical AR15. If it were priced similarly to a comparable post-ban I'm sure it would sell well. Are you listening, ArmaLite, Bushmaster, Olympic Arms, etc?

One mfg is although their track record isn't stellar...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=120280
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:01:51 AM EST
Popular Mechanics used to be a great magazine, but I let my 30-year subscription lapse last year when they started running "National Enquirer"-type sensational cover stories like "Secrets of the Bible" and "The Real Story About UFOs". WTF's that shite got to do with car maintenance, woodworking projects, home remodeling tips, feature articles describing NASCAR cars and reviews of lawn tractors and boats?

I agree about the subject weapon, too -- not likely to win the "Most Attractive AR" blue ribbon.

Noah
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:24:10 AM EST
That's the beast....

Too bad. I kinda liked the idea of something "American" using all those hicaps out there.....

(sniff... wonder if they'd sell the prototype...)
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:30:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By DOCPIG:
Robinson arms makes a prototype rifle similar to what you described but they don't have any in production yet, I think it will retail for around $1500.

I guess that this is our only 'hope' then.....
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:45:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Boomer:
Just for the record, the grapevine had the price of this post-ban weapon in the $4,000 range. Ouch. No wonder they cancelled it.

That price was quoted by some dealer with dollar signs in his eyes. It was (is) not going to cost that much.

The project is not cancelled, just on the back burner while some more important things get finished. The problem with the rifle is that it requires the upper and lower receivers to be machined from billet (they are slightly longer than normal), so it is very time consuming and expensive to build a new/test gun (the goal of course is to produce the final design from machined forgings just like the current M16, etc).

Hope this helps,
havoc
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:50:35 AM EST
I wonder if KKF could do a lower like that for a colt 7.62upper?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:08:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:
I wonder if KKF could do a lower like that for a colt 7.62upper?

Ask the man!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:22:37 PM EST
Heck, I like it. It would be great to use the millions of AK-47 mags out there. You can pick up the Bulgarian waffle mags (shown in picture of rifle) for less than $10 each NIW and steel ones for around $6.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:39:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
Heck, I like it. It would be great to use the millions of AK-47 mags out there. You can pick up the Bulgarian waffle mags (shown in picture of rifle) for less than $10 each NIW and steel ones for around $6.

Yup... it would be cool. Now we just have to wait and see how much it will be. If it's more then say 1500, the Robinson Arms rifle would be a better choice... since it can be converted to 223 Rem (using AR mags) and 7.62x39 using AK47 mags.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:58:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4Madness:

As soon as there is a production built AR that takes AK mags, the price of AK mags will sky rocket. AR mags are just as plentiful as ever, there are just people willing to pay more for them.
Has anyone here actually had trouble finding good AR mags and as many as you wanted?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:08:07 PM EST
IIRC this weapon had less to do with "using the enemys mags aginst them" and more to do with an AR type weapon that could be silenced and still deliver a good amount of energy, while still shooting a conventional, ecenomical round (i.e. not 300 whisper)
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:41:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By rn45:
From experience I can say that original AK-47 magazines could be filed down and used in an M-16. They held about 28 rounds. I did that while in VN. They work, although I was never secure enough to carry them in the bush.

Interesting info. Too bad the BATF says it has to work in the original weapon it was designed to fit...
Top Top