Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:23:43 AM EDT
I understand that cheap safes won't do much to slow down determined thieves, but that is not my concern really. I just want something that would prevent the typical smash-and-grab burglary as well as prevent unauthorized access to my guns. Around 15 long gun capacity should suit me, with a little room to grow.

Suggestions? Please think cheap, I don't have $1,000 to spend on asafe rigth now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I understand that cheap safes won't do much to slow down determined thieves, but that is not my concern really. I just want something that would prevent the typical smash-and-grab burglary as well as prevent unauthorized access to my guns. Around 15 long gun capacity should suit me, with a little room to grow.

Suggestions? Please think cheap, I don't have $1,000 to spend on asafe rigth now.

You'll have your best luck checking out your local Costco/Sams Club or Bass Pro for either a Stack-On Gun Cabinet (under $500 and you can self deliver) or some other low end gun safe/RSC ($600-$1000 + delivery costs).

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I was going to reccomend THIS one, but it seems to have gone up 300 or so since i bought mine 2 years ago. Nice safe, but not for the price they want.

Check craigslist, and ebay, there are good deals to be found, you just gotta search.

ETA: Dont know what you consider "cheap" but this one aint too bad to discourage most people...

ETA2: Whoops just saw the second one has a reserve...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Our Sam's doesn't carry them anymore, but the Winchester safes they sold were a good value.  I got mine for about $580.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can only afford a cheap metal cabinet (I'm not gonna call it a safe), then think a little bit and frame the sucker in. With a little creativity and time you could really make even the cheapest safe a complete whore to wrestle out into the open.

If you must get a cheapo, then always remove the decals, "SENTRY" logo's, etc.... Repaint the visible door to look like a much better brand. That won't cost much and might just make some thief say , "Awwww.... fuck it....."...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Dicks Sporting Goods and look for the Pro Series Field and Stream safe.  It's about $600, is fire rated, has a mechanical lock, holds a lot and keeps the safe water tight in 2 feet of standing water.  It's a Stack On Total Defense safe with Dicks in store brand, Field & Stream, on it with green paint instead of black and silver/gray.  Make sure you bolt it down.  For the price, it's the best bang for the buck in the under 1200.00 price range unless you want an extremely small safe.

Wes
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Go to Dicks Sporting Goods and look for the Pro Series Field and Stream safe. It's about $600, is fire rated, has a mechanical lock, holds a lot and keeps the safe water tight in 2 feet of standing water. It's a Stack On Total Defense safe with Dicks in store brand, Field & Stream, on it with green paint instead of black and silver/gray. Make sure you bolt it down. For the price, it's the best bang for the buck in the under 1200.00 price range unless you want an extremely small safe.

Wes

That sounds like what I am lookng for. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top