Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/21/2006 3:21:59 AM EDT
Maybe I didn't look in the correct area but...

Where do I begin with my NFA paperwork?
I've been told the local sheriff will sign C3 stuff with no problems, as long as he can shoot it. So how do I start the process? I'm planning on a SBR with a can. Maybe just a link to the information or whatever.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for what I know is a dead horse subject.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:58:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:20:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 4:20:25 AM EDT by CZ-75Jeff]
To do a SBR, you fill out a Form 1 in duplicate. You will also need 2 FBI fingerprint cards and a Citizenship form. You can get the forms online at TitleII.com, but the fingerprint cards you will need to order from The ATF unless the CLEO uses the same cards. You will also need to attach a passport style photo to each form 1.

You use a Form 1 to "make" a SBR. Most of the time, this means slapping a short barreled upper on an existing Title I firearm (like an AR lower).

Fill out all the forms, and then go to the CLEO to get your prints done and have him sign both Form 1s. Ask him/her to use blue ink... It's easier for the NFA examiner to know it's an original signature.

Send the completed forms and fingerprint cards to the NFA along with a check or money order for $200. You should note the serial number on the check.

Then you wait. When the forms come back approved, you can "Make" the SBR.

For a Silencer, you will need to find a dealer that either has the one you want or who can order the one you want. Once teh dealer gets it, he will start a Form 4 transfer to you. Again, these forms are in duplicate, and need CLEO signatures, photos and prints along with the citizenship form and a $200 check. Another wait, then you're good to go.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 4:52:25 AM EDT by WhiteRubi]
I will make the assumption that I would need to wait until I have the approval to order the SBR parts. I would not want any hassle for having said parts and no lower to put it on, legally.


ETA... Do the forms have and expiration date? By that, I mean if I get approval and do not have access to the parts or funds for parts, how long do I have to buy/build the SBR ? Am I over complicating things?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:38:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WhiteRubi:
I will make the assumption that I would need to wait until I have the approval to order the SBR parts. I would not want any hassle for having said parts and no lower to put it on, legally.


Better safe, than sorry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:19:37 PM EDT
You can order your fingerprint cards here: www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm you'll want the ones with ATF-NFA Washington D.C. in the ORI box.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 3:01:48 PM EDT by WhiteRubi]

Fingerprint cards ordered...Forms printed...

You guys ROCK

So what about the expiration question? Do I only have X amount of time to complete a transaction for the suppressor?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:10:39 PM EDT
Once the F1 for the SBR is approved, that S/N is in the registry, and will not be removed until you ask them to. FWIW, Fingerprint cards are good for 1 year, if they are'nt sent in before that you have to redo them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:59:49 AM EDT
After sifting through forms, would I not need a From 4 instead of a Form 1?
For Suppressor which form and what about the expiration date (time to order)
For SBR which form and expiration date (time to order)

Reason I ask is the CLEO is willing to sign, which is half the battle. He won't be Sheriff forever, who knows what the next guy might do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:11:16 AM EDT
If they are transfering from someone else F4, if your making it F1.
Well, most CLEO's won't sign off unless the S/N is on the Form, what I do is buy the suppressor, wait til it comes in at my dealers and then fill out my F4.
Top Top