Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2008 5:51:52 AM EDT
Sorry for posting this thread since I have seen it before but I would like to make sure I'm good to go here.  I'm participating in the Snowflake Shoot at Camp Perry Nov 22nd and don't want to get burned if Form 1 qustions arise there, since you never know if the Feds are hanging out and checking things.  

I have listed my on my Form 1 a 10.5" in 6.8 SPC.  I just purchased an LMT 10.5" in 5.56 and am planning on using that upper at the shoot.

From my understanding since this is not a permanent change and since I still have the 6.8 upper I do not have to inform the BATFE of this.  

Am I correct or would I be safer to drop them a letter w/ copy of the Form 1 to add the 5.56 upper to their data base?

Thanks for your help!

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe you have to send them a letter as long as you can still convert back to the original configuration.  I would probably take your 6.8 SPC along with you just in case someone asks to see the rifle in the original config.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
You do NOT have to send any paperwork to the BATFE for any changes to your SBR.  The BATFE requests notification of changes to caliber, barrel length and OAL.  Most people would recommend that you write them if your're making permenent change but again, it's requested, not required.

The only person you're required to show your paper to would be a BATFE agent.  Of course, if you're going to a private range and the RO wants to see them or you're not shooting, you have a choice to make.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You do NOT have to send any paperwork to the BATFE for any changes to your SBR.  The BATFE requests notification of changes to caliber, barrel length and OAL.  Most people would recommend that you write them if your're making permenent change but again, it's requested, not required.

The only person you're required to show your paper to would be a BATFE agent.  Of course, if you're going to a private range and the RO wants to see them or you're not shooting, you have a choice to make.

+1

But you could always write the ATF informing them of any additional configurations you might run on the lower, as an extra precaution.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm sending a letter the BATFE to make things official.  I reread my Form 1 and it states "The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch... in writing, of any change to the description of the firearms in item 4."  Personally, I will take this as adding additional calibers.

I had to do so when I changed residences and received a promt reply letter that was friendly in nature so I see no problem in doing so for this.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm sending a letter the BATFE to make things official.  I reread my Form 1 and it states "The registrant shall notify the NFA Branch... in writing, of any change to the description of the firearms in item 4."  Personally, I will take this as adding additional calibers.

I had to do so when I changed residences and received a promt reply letter that was friendly in nature so I see no problem in doing so for this.

Thanks again for your inputs.

You and many, many others misinterpret the "shall notify" language on the Forms. It is not written very clearly, but it's simply referring to the address:  You shall notify them at the provided address, as in you shall use that address rather than another. It does not mean that you shall notify them as a required procedure.  The reality is that there is simply no requirement, legal or regulatory, to notify ATF of any further changes you make to your NFA firearm for caliber, barrel length or OAL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top