Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 10:57:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 12:14:09 PM EDT by 234747]
A friend asked me if I would research what the Military is currently configuring their M-14 rifles with as far as optics and mounts. If anyone has any information or pictures, that would be great. He wants to know what scope and mount are most primarily used. I know that the Seals still deploy the M-14, but to the best of my knowledge, the regular Army, Marines, etc. don't besides Delta,and MEUSOC.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:07:50 PM EDT
I know that some 82nd ABN troopers in A'Stan were using Trijicon ACOG TA-11s mounted on a M1913 rail over the action.

I have also seen scopes of indeterminate origin in similar mounts in pictures of regular Army troops in Iraq, particularly in An Najaf circa 2003.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:34:20 PM EDT
USMC DMR is using a 10x Leupold Mk4 w/ M3 knobs in Badger DMR rings (Max50 ring in front, standard in rear) and a Smith Enterprise scope mount.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:09:12 AM EDT
Actually just about every modern Commercial Military grade optic can be found at one time or another.. Everything from Aimpoints and EO Techs to ACOGs, to Springfield Armory scopes and 10x Leupolds. Right now, there is not one set deal. Its whatever units buy, or what the individual soldier can scrounge.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:52:26 AM EDT
Good, I needed to know this, we just got handed 40 of them for the battalion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:57:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 234747:
A friend asked me if I would research what the Military is currently configuring their M-14 rifles with as far as optics and mounts. If anyone has any information or pictures, that would be great. He wants to know what scope and mount are most primarily used. I know that the Seals still deploy the M-14, but to the best of my knowledge, the regular Army, Marines, etc. don't besides Delta,and MEUSOC.

I'm not sure you have that right about "regulars" using it. I've seen them in the hands of 101st in Afghanistan and I seen a pic of somebody with a 2ID patch using one. And I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they weren't delta. At one time there were a ton of photos in this forum of them deployed but I guess it's cooled down a little for now.

I guess the smith enterprises is one of the best mounts. Most guys say stay away from the springfield mounts. Hope this helps. Thanks for serving.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:08:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JJREA:

Originally Posted By 234747:

I'm not sure you have that right about "regulars" using it. I've seen them in the hands of 101st in Afghanistan and I seen a pic of somebody with a 2ID patch using one. And I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they weren't delta. At one time there were a ton of photos in this forum of them deployed but I guess it's cooled down a little for now.

I guess the smith enterprises is one of the best mounts. Most guys say stay away from the springfield mounts. Hope this helps. Thanks for serving.

2ID ordered the CrazyHorse rifles for their OIF deployment, I think it was just for the stryker brigade but I could be wrong. Heres the link and some pics to the history behind 2ID's rifles...

Crazy Horse Rifles
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 4:44:05 PM EDT by mach6]
The 2ID procured Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X20 Circle Dot scopes and Mark 4 3.5-10 M3 (M118LR) ILLUM Mil Dot scopes for both the deployed (2BCT) brigade and the brigade in Korea to equip their M14SE "CRAZY HORSE" SASS. The Circle Dots in Korea have recently been replaced by SEI with the Mark 4 scope as part of the Phase II upgrade program. The 2BCT will also most likely upgrade their scopes after their deployment as part of the Phase II program. The Mark 4 3.5-10 M3 (M118LR) appears to be the preferred scope for sniper/DMR personnel. The 25ID, several Cav units and SFG groups have also equipped by SEI with the Mark 4 scope and their Wire EDM Mount, NSN 5855-01-506-5750. Since the weeks immediately following 9/11 over 1,200 of the wire EDM mounts have been sent to the Gulf region by SEI along with a myriad of Leupold optics. Another MACOM will be equipped with these systems in the coming days.
Top Top