Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2015 1:15:58 PM EDT
My only 9mm reloads have been Montana Golds, are there any benefits of fmj over the plated aside from velocity?   It looks like right now I can get them both for about the same price.   Dispensing devices are glocks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I like plated better when shoot steel plates.  It does not hurt as much
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I notice the plated SWC bullets I use can get bang up and dented in feeding sometimes where as the harder FMJ bullets won't.

Having a choice between plated or FMJ bullets I would chose plated for the same price as I don't like to touch exposed lead as the base has on FMJ.

TMJ or plated for the same price, TMJ would be my choice.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
FMJs are less susceptible to 'over-crimping' and *may* be slightly more accurate in the MG JHP or TMJ variants due to a flatter base and weight distribution (JHP).

If you're seeing plated available for the same price as MGs, you may be looking at the wrong places.  A case of MG 124gr JHPs runs ~9.8c cents/bullet.  500 or more Xtreme plated 124gr RNs run ~8c/each - wait for one of their free ship or 5-10% off sales (sign up, they run them regularly).

MGs are the most accurate load I've made to date, but 124gr RN Xtremes as well as Bayou Hi-Tek coated (down to ~6.x c/each by the case) are both pretty close.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FMJs are less susceptible to 'over-crimping' and *may* be slightly more accurate in the MG JHP or TMJ variants due to a flatter base and weight distribution (JHP).

If you're seeing plated available for the same price as MGs, you may be looking at the wrong places.  A case of MG 124gr JHPs runs ~9.8c cents/bullet.  500 or more Xtreme plated 124gr RNs run ~8c/each - wait for one of their free ship or 5-10% off sales (sign up, they run them regularly).

MGs are the most accurate load I've made to date, but 124gr RN Xtremes as well as Bayou Hi-Tek coated (down to ~6.x c/each by the case) are both pretty close.
View Quote

I crimp pretty heavy, so I'll probably stick with the FMJ - looking at $125 for 1k 124 JHP.    Thanks
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If price is not a concern stay with fmj.
Sometimes plated in the truntuated cone formation is more accuate in my glock with KKM barrel.
I like the cleaner holes in paper targets....
Later
John
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I crimp pretty heavy, so I'll probably stick with the FMJ - looking at $125 for 1k 124 JHP.    Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to reconsider on that, as 9mm isn't a true straight-walled cartridge but a tapered one - any 'crimp' really should simply be removing the flare/bell put in.
Take a bullet you're going to load, measure where it will be seated at the case mouth, then measure the case wall thickness and double the wall thickness.  That - .001 or so is about where your finished round case mouth should wind up, just don't need real 'crimping' on 9mm.
I love MG bullets, though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Where does "Coated" fall in this discussion?

For those have used Plated and FMJ and Coated, do the performance advantages of Coated lie somewhere in between, or is Coated only about "cost"?

I've never used coated and joined this thread for input between Plated and FMJ, but Coated is getting more prevalent (it seems) so I thought it would be one more option in the mix.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]
In general, jacketed are a lot more accurate.
If MG is close to the price of plated, I would stock up on jacketed.

PS: you should try some JHP bullets.

For me, cast lead is my first choice, then coated, then jacketed. Been very unhappy with the plated bullets I have tested.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where does "Coated" fall in this discussion?

For those have used Plated and FMJ and Coated, do the performance advantages of Coated lie somewhere in between, or is Coated only about "cost"?

I've never used coated and joined this thread for input between Plated and FMJ, but Coated is getting more prevalent (it seems) so I thought it would be one more option in the mix.
View Quote

Others may have different opinions, but....
Some people like lead - it's cheap, can be cast at home, and is usually oversized slightly (e.g. .356 for 9mm, vs .355 for most FMJ, JHP..).  The oversize can improve accuracy.  However, lead is smoky, and MAY leave lead/fouling in your barrel.
JHPs tend to be the most accurate bullets, at least for me, between the truly flat base and a bit more rearward weight (e.g. Montana Gold/PD/Zero 124gr JHP, Hornady HAP, ..).
Plated and coated IMO are really solving the same 'problem' - less smoke and barrel fouling.  Care must be taken with either one to not over-crimp, even with so called 'thick' plated bullets, IMO (short of e.g. Speer Gold Dots, which are actually plated, but are much closer to jacketed vs typical plated bullets).
I haven't seen much difference, if any, accuracy-wise between e.g. Xtreme plated, Bayou RN, ... other than in price.  Rainer and Berry's tend to be more $ than either typical coated or Xtreme plated, in some cases as much as jacketed, so I don't use either of those two any more.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
What a coincidence. I'm in the exact same situation. Been using MG CMJ 124's. I order by the case so about 9.8 cents a bullet. I just ordered 1000 Extreme's to try out. They are about a 1.5 cents cheaper per bullet if ordered in the same quantity's.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What a coincidence. I'm in the exact same situation. Been using MG CMJ 124's. I order by the case so about 9.8 cents a bullet. I just ordered 1000 Extreme's to try out. They are about a 1.5 cents cheaper per bullet if ordered in the same quantity's.

View Quote

That adds up real quick when buying in bulk. I like both the MG and extremes.  Unfortunately the mg's have become a little out of reach price wise on  my end. The 124 & 147, 9mm xtremes have been solid performers out of the various guns we shoot. Mostly 16" & SBR (10") suppressed pcc's lately.
Remember when it was cheaper to shoot 22 then center fire ammo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top