Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2011 7:34:47 AM EDT
I saw a thread recently that outlined a plan to build a plate carrier stand out of dimensional lumber but now can't find it.  Could somebody help me out with this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Disregard my shitty IBA (wasn't fully configured at the time of the pic), but this is what we use in Kabul.  Basic cross, holds IBA and helmet.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that helps a lot.  If I design and build something better I'll post pics for everybody.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I found this on youtube. http://youtu.be/E-UzSEYqZ6Q
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I found this on youtube. http://youtu.be/E-UzSEYqZ6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-UzSEYqZ6Q&feature=youtu.be

Made it hot.

That's the one I was talking about.  Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Dru.  Might have to modify that and I'll post pics and a plan for anybody who's interested.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you hang soft armor this way as well?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well you could.... but depending on who you talk to soft armor is suppose to be stored laying down, so the fibers don't pool at the bottom, weakening the protection.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Id imagine with a little imagination and planning you could easily build one from scratch with a few 2x4s and screws.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats what all the FOBBITS had when we deployed. All the guys that actually wore their kit everyday didn't have time to build that shit. So we just stood them up by our rack. Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you could.... but depending on who you talk to soft armor is suppose to be stored laying down, so the fibers don't pool at the bottom, weakening the protection.

I have never heard that. I just hang my soft armor vest over a door inside facing out so it can dry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The ITS design is one of the better ones I have seen. Someday I will build one but I was looking at using 4" PVC pipe which I think would be better on the shoulder straps.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#13]
just put one together today. all supplies cost less than $15, and i've got an extra 4' 4x4, since 8' was the shortest i could buy.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#14]
My version made out of aromatic red cedar.  Cross beams inset in dados and legs inset in rabbits.  No mechanical fasteners used

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome.  I would like to see a how to on that technique as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Those are the same ones we use/have seen in my career the cross ones. We have one in our CP we call him Jerry, he's all camo'd out and has a face haha
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thats what all the FOBBITS had when we deployed. All the guys that actually wore their kit everyday didn't have time to build that shit. So we just stood them up by our rack. Have fun.

Wow, you are hardcore, and your post was useless to this topic.  I left the wire quite often, and I had one.  It came with my room.  I think someone in Ramadi went on a stand building spree a year or so years earlier, because they were everywhere, and I did not remember seeing them when I was there 2 years before that.  I had to stick a few more nails in mine because it had worked loose and the wood shrunk a bit, but it worked fine.

Here is was circa 2008:

In 2006 I had to use a super hangar:

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The ITS design is one of the better ones I have seen. Someday I will build one but I was looking at using 4" PVC pipe which I think would be better on the shoulder straps.

I may go to LOWES and look in to the pipe idea today

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Awesome.  I would like to see a how to on that technique as well.

I took five pieces of 3/4" MDF and one piece of 1/2" MDF each 4 1/2" wide and 48" long and glued them all together.  Once dry, I ran one side through my jointer to flatten out any variances between the 6 pieces then ran it through my planer to flatten the opposite side.  I then glued 1/4" aromatic cedar to each of the four sides.  Next, cut each end flush and to length (46").  Next I tool some 4/4 aromatic cedar and milled out two cross pieces 3" wide and 24" long and four leg pieces 2 3/4" wide and 18" long.  Using these pieces I layed out where the dados went for the cross pieces and the rabbits for the legs and also where the arms and legs met the center post.  I mounted a dado blade in my table saw and set the depth for the thickness of my arms and legs (7/16") and cut out the dados and rabbits.  Then I mounted a 3/16" roundover bit in my router table and milled out the ends of all the pieces, the tops of the legs and the tops and bottoms of the arms so the roundover stopped right at the junction it would meet the post.  After sanding everything to 180 grit I glued it all up using Titebond III glue.  Once the glue dried, I did a final sanding of everything down to 400 grit.  No finish is necessary as I used aromatic cedar and any finish would eliminate the natural odor of the wood.  

Helps to have a fully equipped woodshop.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, you are hardcore, and your post was useless to this topic.  I left the wire quite often, and I had one.  It came with my room.  I think someone in Ramadi went on a stand building spree a year or so years earlier, because they were everywhere, and I did not remember seeing them when I was there 2 years before that.  I had to stick a few more nails in mine because it had worked loose and the wood shrunk a bit, but it worked fine.

Here is was circa 2008:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/jinx667/gearsterile.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/jinx667/IMGP0293_sterile.jpg

Yeah, he was the reason I didn't take pics during my construction process.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I do not have nearly the shop gear for that.  I am going to look into the PVC version.  I think that will be a neat and fairly straight forward project.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is was circa 2008:

Yeah, he was the reason I didn't take pics during my construction process.  Sorry.

Yeah. not sire what is up with that guy.  Hell, ITS got the idea from the ones used to display the armor of the fallen SEALs in Coronado.  And I reckon those guys used their armor daily.  I get a bit annoyed at the whole name calling thing.  I have seen several "FOBBITS" injured and or killed doing there job on the FOB from IDF, or while convoying from one place to another.  Combat AOs are dangerous no matter where you are.

Everyone has a role, and not everyone is a door kicker.

But, all of us gear whores can build a display stand!
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah I do not have nearly the shop gear for that.  I am going to look into the PVC version.  I think that will be a neat and fairly straight forward project.

Might work.  I'd question the ability of pvc pipe to support much weight though. Now threaded steel pipe would do it easily.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#24]
4" or 6" pipe should do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might work.  I'd question the ability of pvc pipe to support much weight though. Now threaded steel pipe would do it easily.  

Here is your threaded pipe, had this for about 3-4 years.  1" and 1 1/2' pipe.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Wasn't trying to sound Hardcore at all. Just stating that when I was deployed me and my guys were all way too busy to have time to build things like that. However many of the guys that never left the FOB or only wore their gear once or twice had it all standing pretty in their work areas/offices. Wasn't sure if the OP was CONUS or NOt, just made a comment, thats all.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is was circa 2008:

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think schd 80 pipe would work.  If not, I"m sure 120 would.  With the fittings available you could make one that look pretty decent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I went to Lowes today and found all the fitting and pipe in black PVC, but the cost would be $50-60 in all.  It would look good in black though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I went to Lowes today and found all the fitting and pipe in black PVC, but the cost would be $50-60 in all.  It would look good in black though.

What size pipe were you looking at?   I think 3" would make a very nice stand.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size pipe were you looking at?   I think 3" would make a very nice stand.

3" did look the best.

I figured it would take:

1 four way fitting
4 three way fittings
7 end caps
1 three foot section
8 one foot sections

this would be with a H shaped bottom.  I could not find the right 4 way piece to do a cross bottom.  It would be about 4 3/4 feet tall.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to try to go to the Recycling yard here and pick up some wood and make one, I'll post pics when it's done. The PVC pipe and steel pipe ones would be awesome but I'd rather make mine for free
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top