Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/23/2006 6:23:53 PM EDT
OK OK I know I know, Cheaper than dirt is named so for a reason, but anybody actually tried one of these?
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/MOLLE-133.jpg
I like the diamondback w/ cumberbund better but I am cheap!
It's <$60

It won't see much action but more of a REACT rig in the trunk.

Flame away.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:38:10 PM EDT
I doubt anyone has tried one. But, change one or two things and you've got the new "CIAS", if it closes how it looks like it does. I'd take off the fastex clips everywhere but the shoulders, and shorten it.

But you're not asking about the rig, so why am I saying?

I doubt anyone has tried one, but I say go for it and post a review. Most importantly, talk about how strong the stitching is. I wouldn't trust much from CTD, so I'd like to know about the stitching.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:55:04 PM EDT
What costs more, a high quality piece of gear the first time or replacing a cheap piece of gear that with a high quality piece of gear?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:10:10 PM EDT
Man if that's the way you think, I've got a couple of hard plates to sell you for it!

C'mon man, this is save your life shit, not play airsoft! DO NOT skimp on the important shit!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:17:15 PM EDT
Whoa whoa whoa.. if this is for save your life BS and not dressup at the range, you've got it all wrong.

Don't go with something that's been NOT previously tested! It's not my lane, but I will say.. don't be the sucker to test something first.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:02:05 PM EDT
Just use duct tape. Especially if you plan on absorbing multiple hits of .308 while your partnet dives for cover...

But you might wanna come up with a plan B...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 1:10:37 AM EDT by OFCJAX]
Beleive me, I realize the importance of quality gear, (I would love a CIRAS)but I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this particular peice of gear.

So far that's a no..........

I'm used to getting issued shitty gear, so if I got a shiny new (good)thing I wouldn't know what to do with it!his
I'll get the Battlelab stuff.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:26:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
Just use duct tape. Especially if you plan on absorbing multiple hits of .308 while your partnet dives for cover...

That popped into my head too. Just the duct tape part, not the rest about laying down to give your partner cover while she readies the .338 single shot snper rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:29:15 AM EDT
that thing is built for a couch commando. or someone who spends all there time on arfcom instead of the field...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:29:34 PM EDT
Best advice I could give was save that $60 and save $20 a week, in a couple of months you will have enough to get a quality Plate Carrier. Unless you are planning on running out into a world of shit, just save your money and get something you will use for years, not something you will break, ruin or be thoroughly disgusted with in a couple of weeks. I have bought a lot of crap over the years...my garage is full of it. Now I prefer to either save for it or use a credit card and be done with it. You won't be sorry with quality!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:35:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:07:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Unicorn:

That popped into my head too. Just the duct tape part, not the rest about laying down to give your partner cover while she readies the .338 single shot snper rifle.

Google "mall ninja"
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:01:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Unicorn:

Google "mall ninja"

I know what it's from, I was just thinking of the guy duct taping the plates to his back. My mind refused to go all the way there, with the using himself as cover, or the part about securing the largest indoor shopping center in the US.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 1:04:22 PM EDT by Riddick01]
If you are looking for an inexpensive (note: I didn't say cheap) plate carrier, take a look at the BCS carrier at Gwentac. The only downside is it doesn't have any webbing, but it's only about $75. Throw that on under a MAV or Hellcat and you're good to go.
Top Top