Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 12:02:56 PM EDT
I bought my first plate carrier today, kind of impulsively.  So I think I paid a little more for it than I should have.  Any way, it is a Condor ATACs quick release in multi-cam.

The reason I ask the question in the subject is that it feels like a blanket wrapped around my chest when I put it on.  It fits snug and doesn't move much which is what I believe it should be like.  No plates in it yet so I am hoping it still feels good with plates in it some day and loaded down.  It has built in shoulder pads which make it nicer to.

I am new to tactical gear and this is my first piece.  Will start accessorizing it soon.  So be nice to me.

David
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought my first plate carrier today, kind of impulsively.  So I think I paid a little more for it than I should have.  Any way, it is a Condor ATACs quick release in multi-cam.

The reason I ask the question in the subject is that it feels like a blanket wrapped around my chest when I put it on.  It fits snug and doesn't move much which is what I believe it should be like.  No plates in it yet so I am hoping it still feels good with plates in it some day and loaded down.  It has built in shoulder pads which make it nicer to.

I am new to tactical gear and this is my first piece.  Will start accessorizing it soon.  So be nice to me.

David
View Quote

Comfort is a secondary consideration, It needs to stay in coverage position and carry the weight, without moving.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured comfort would be secondary just like carrying my pistol.  But I was surprised how well it felt and fit.  I am 5'5" and with the carrier near my neck line, most of my torso is covered.

David
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad it fits well
Get some HSGI shoulder pads

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Comfort is a secondary consideration, It needs to stay in coverage position and carry the weight, without moving.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

totally disagree on that. Try wearing something for 12-24 hours non-stop with the straps digging into your skin or heat rash developing from rubbing. Comfort is JUST AS important as everything else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

totally disagree on that. Try wearing something for 12-24 hours non-stop with the straps digging into your skin or heat rash developing from rubbing. Comfort is JUST AS important as everything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

Early 80s LBE, flak jacket, and Alice pack w/no frame qualify?
Welcome to the Army in the mid 80s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Compared to getting shot?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Compared to getting shot?
View Quote

Not dying is the primary concern. Anything else is secondary.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

honestly the flak jacket is pretty damn comfortable
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

And you can use it as a pillow. Lol but comfortable with LBE, no so much.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

Civie =\= MIL
Comfort is important but behind "plate placement"

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Civie =\= MIL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

Civie =\= MIL

If you're in the .mil there's probably someone telling you what to wear and when but if you're a civvie then comfort is important because you're more likely to wear something if it is comfortable to do so.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
^
Of course but it's very unlikel you'll need te log term comfort you describe

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Comfort is priority in a carrier to me if it isn't pleasant to wear I wont wear it. For example my JPC with LTC level 4s is super comfy therefore I wear it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Comfort is secondary to function. That being said, the LBT 6094 is quite comfy what with the neoprene padding it has in the shoulder pads and plate bags.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Comfort is priority in a carrier to me if it isn't pleasant to wear I wont wear it. For example my JPC with LTC level 4s is super comfy therefore I wear it.
View Quote

Then the situation may not be serious enough to warrant a PC if that is your primary determining factor. Or are you strictly referring to training?

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
You would get more use out of soft armor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Then the situation may not be serious enough to warrant a PC if that is your primary determining factor. Or are you strictly referring to training?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Referring to both, in that; If I don't train in it am less likely to use it should the need arise, basically I would rather use what I train with even though it might not be the best option, over what I do not train with that may be the better option, because I can employ what I am proficient at better than what I am not proficient at.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Civie =\= MIL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David

Civie =\= MIL

If I had a PC that put the plates just where I want but was uncomfortable to wear....I would buy a new plate carrier that gave both
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't think a plate carrier is supposed to be comfortable but at the same time they shouldn't be painful to wear. They are heavy, cause you to sweat but is potential life saving gear, it's not a fashion statement. I'm not familiar with the particular carrier you bought but as long as it hold the plates high on your torso and prevents them from bouncing around to much you're good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't think a plate carrier is supposed to be comfortable but at the same time they shouldn't be painful to wear. They are heavy, cause you to sweat but is potential life saving gear, it's not a fashion statement. I'm not familiar with the particular carrier you bought but as long as it hold the plates high on your torso and prevents them from bouncing around to much you're good.
View Quote

PCs are intended to be psychologically comfy first, physically comfy second.

A steady fit is desired as others have opined.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]
you bought a crappy condor plate carrier - in addition to being uncomfortable, it will probably wear itself apart sitting in your closet

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh Gear forum...
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top