Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 12:48:21 PM EDT
I'm an ideas guy but I don't have the drive to go produce something for myself so I figured I would throw this out there. The other day while was schlepping my plate carrier with front and back ceramic plates and full loadout with 6 loaded mags, my traps were aching like mad from the shoulder straps weighing down on me. The thought came to me that when I'm backpacking, even with a 40 lb. pack my shoulders never hurt, because much of the weight of my pack is being carried by the waist belt.

Since 1 lb carbon nano tube Level IV plates are a long ways off, why doesn't someone come up with a plate carrier that carries the weight of plates and your load out on your waist just like a modern backpack does? You would just need a polymer frame that twists with your torso but supports most of the weight of the plate on a waist belt, which could also be used to carry gear and would accept a holster, standard or drop leg.

If you take this idea and decide to run with it, I just ask that you send me one of the finished products when its done. I take an extra large vest so you need to produce one that accepts 11 x 14 SAPI's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently Crye does. It's called the Structural Kinetic Support System (StKSS). I've never tried it myself, but it's supposed to distribute weight onto your hips.

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-BLC02802LG0/Stkss%E2%84%A2-Load-System
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Or you could just shift some of your kit to a battle belt.

There's a reason this is a popular setup.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem with that is you would have to take all of your kit off at once versus dropping just the PC or just the belt.

Like KillerB6 said, just move some stuff to your belt, reduce what you are carrying or start working out more and judging by the size of plates you use I doubt you need to work out......don't hurt me

It could also be the design of your PC that is causing the discomfort.

What all are you carrying?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I think LBT and Tyr also have something similar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this what you're thinking of?

http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/body-armor-solution-packs/base-frame
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Hit the gym girly man. Shrugs all day

But seriously though, really evaluate what you have. There's always ways to consolidate gear and equipment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem with that is you would have to take all of your kit off at once versus dropping just the PC or just the belt.

Like KillerB6 said, just move some stuff to your belt, reduce what you are carrying or start working out more and judging by the size of plates you use I doubt you need to work out......don't hurt me

View Quote

Basically just 5 loaded mags, blow-out kit, Level IV 11 x 14 SAPI Plates front and back, and a 3L Hydration pouch on a TAG XL Rampage Carrier. I am 6'2", 220, 36 inch waist so isn't exactly like I'm overweight or out of shape, but I am getting older.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Basically just 5 loaded mags, blow-out kit, Level IV 11 x 14 SAPI Plates front and back, and a 3L Hydration pouch on a TAG XL Rampage Carrier. I am 6'2", 220, 36 inch waist so isn't exactly like I'm overweight or out of shape, but I am getting older.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really not that much. I wonder if it's just the plate carrier that's causing the discomfort.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you using shoulder pads at all? I'm using the HSGI neoprene ones and they work great at taming a heavy burden. They don't slip around either which is nice, but they can get a little sweaty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's really not that much. I wonder if it's just the plate carrier that's causing the discomfort.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I was thinking. Or possibly the needs to adjust the shoulder straps so the carrier rides higher.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:32:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Crye does has a setup like this, has to straps on the side that transfer the load. Problem is when you connect you vest to the belt it does make cutting away the armor more difficult.

I personally just wear my battle belt a bit higher so it helps carrier some of the weight of the vest.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]

neva been done befo
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
There's at least three different companies doing exactly what you're talking about. Never tried them. If you do, do a write up.

eta: in addition to the three listed above, mystery ranch also has a similar product out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top