Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/17/2008 4:03:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2008 5:24:38 PM EST by niceguymr]
I was just curious about the legality and practicality of THESE knives.

Aside from having one "because I can", why else would you have one? OBVIOUSLY, not to sneek it into a Federal Building or the like. Clearly that would be illegal.

Does anyone know if these things are truly undetectable in a metal detector? (in other words, not metallic parts whatsoever) What about an X-RAY machine? I would think that with today's high tech machines, it would probably be detectable just on shape alone since they don't only look at metals. Right?

Can you think of a situation where a knive like this would be useful (over a metal knife)?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:23:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2008 4:25:08 PM EST by jbombelli]
And a better question... why would those be more dangerous or illegal than, say, something like this?

plastic knife

that said, I don't know why anybody would want one of those... I've never wanted one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:03:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By jbombelli:
And a better question... why would those be more dangerous or illegal than, say, something like this?

plastic knife

that said, I don't know why anybody would want one of those... I've never wanted one.

Well, I think that it's easy to see why the knives that I originally posted about would be more dangerous than your typical plastic Dixie knife for picnics. As for legality, I couldn't agree with you more, but something tells me that you would have a serious problem if caught sneeking one on to an airplane.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:54:39 PM EST
Aside from trying to get past a metal detector with a "weapon"; that stupid thing serves no real purpose. It just screams "I'm trying to pull a fast one".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:12:35 PM EST
I don't agree with some of the posters. Why not? What wrong with this technology? There are a few makers out there making custom knives from carbon fiber. Its narrow minded views like some of the above posters that get turned right around and used against the firearms arguement. Free your mind grasshopper
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:40:42 PM EST
Say you're going to a concert where you can legally CCW, but the private venue prohibits weapons. (I repeat, there is NO LAW banning you) You know the enviroment has a certain element of risk for danger when it come to these types of show. They may even use a metal detector at the door. Aside from choosing not to go alltogether, would bringing a plastic knife to protect you be a bad idea? Worse case scenario, if you are discovered to be 'packing' a plastic knife, all they can ask you to do is leave. That's IF and only IF they discover your 'knife'
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:28:01 PM EST
I've got a couple of those, and "almost as hard as steel" is quite a stretch.
Maybe better than no knife if you were in a questionable situation.

But, they're great to have on the work bench. All purpose, non-marring, bolt scraper, pin pusher, pointy to clean in small areas, etc. I think mine came from CTD, and they were only a couple bucks each. Really a pretty good utility tool. Not really a knife.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:20:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By niceguymr:
Say you're going to a concert where you can legally CCW, but the private venue prohibits weapons. (I repeat, there is NO LAW banning you) You know the enviroment has a certain element of risk for danger when it come to these types of show. They may even use a metal detector at the door. Aside from choosing not to go alltogether, would bringing a plastic knife to protect you be a bad idea? Worse case scenario, if you are discovered to be 'packing' a plastic knife, all they can ask you to do is leave. That's IF and only IF they discover your 'knife'

You raise some good questions. I used to [ and emphasize 'used to' ] prior to the "new" way of flying [ read: Post 9/11], carry one of those with me. Both domestic and International flights. For myself it was going to be a last resort, but one nonetheless. I think these days its a felony and just not worth it [i.e., plastic knives of this type are banned from commerical flight in the US].
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top