Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 7:14:17 AM EDT
I need to buy a pistol safe. I was looking at the Aegis safe and the Gun vault models. Anyone have experience with these or there own recommendations ? Combination dial types are out. I want to be able open it in the dark quickly and mount it close or on the bed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got a Gun Vault GV1000 for Christmas. Excellent product that works as advertised! I just wish I had gotten the two gun, slightly bigger model. Even though I only keep a P226 in it I have to be careful not to bang it on the doorway when putting it in there.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The Gun Vault works well.  However, it does seem to eat batteries pretty fast (and they are a bear to replace!).  It really opens with a snap.

To my mind the larger two gun version is a little too large.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using the deluxe gun vault for a couple of years.  Easy in if you are in a hurry. I Open it in the morning and then in evening Change batteries twice a year when I change smoke detectors batteries.   I keep a glock 30 and a ruger gp 100 in it.  The wife could use the revolver if needed.  If you have kids it's the only way to go.  trigger locks suck..  excuse me while I whip this out.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the Gun Vault brand the best way to go? Any input from others using different brands?  

I'm also in the market for a bedside pistol safe that allows quick access for me while limiting access to my kids. I saw a keypad access Sentry safe at Sears yesterday. It was $129 and plenty big enough for several pistols and lots of ammo. Any reason I shouldn't use something like this?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun Vault is good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked at them all and bought the Gun Vault -- and have been very pleased.  I have the larger one, but only keep one gun it it (usually) but it is easy to get in and out.  If you plan on keeping the safe under the bed, you better check how much room you have before you buy -- it is fairly high.

I would avoid the numbered keypad models of other makers (IMHO) -- can you see trying to read those little numbers and press them in the dead of night when you are half asleep?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
www.handgunsafe.com/

I'm pleased with their wall safe model, haven't tried any of the others.  This is well made stuff with the Simplex pushbutton combination locks for quick access even in the dark.

Pistol safes won't stop a determined burglar with the right tools and time but these are excellent for keeping everybody else out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top