Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2008 8:16:51 PM EDT
I use bullseye, unique and 2400 mainly.  How does universal and others compare?  What powders do you use and why?

I am loading 9mm, 40 S&W, 45acp, 30 carbine and a few others.
Link Posted: 12/30/2008 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have found that the new powders are cleaner, but less accurate, so I decided to go with 231.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used HS-6 for 9mm, 40 and 45 with success for plinking when I first started reloading. Still use it for 9mm and 40. Bullseye on 45 wiith Nosler 185gr hps is the most accurate combo in my Kimber. I will experiment with others when my stash runs out though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2008 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've tried AA#5 in 9mm, 40S&W and 38Spl, and it works very well. My pet load for 9mm uses AA#5, so I always have plenty on hand.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've chosen titegroup for medium handgun loads.  I'm new, so it was based on the load manuals...most velocity at lowest pressures and least powder
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I run straight clays for just about everything in a progressive press as it generally fills up the case to the point that I can't make a double charge without noticing it. I used to use Unique for the same reason. I probably use a bit more grains than some of the faster burning powders, but to me it is worth it not to have a double charge.

I also use power pistol when I want max vel for heaver bullets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I stick mostly to the tried and true Bullseye. I've tried others and most are just fine but I always come back to Bullseye for my .40 and .45. I find it to be economical, easy to work with, and exceptionally accurate in my loads.

For my .30 Carbine, I use H110. My plan is to start shooting the Carbine more so I'll probably experiment with other powders as well (not a lot options for that cartridge).
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a difference between Universal and Universal clays isn't there? I've only used U-Clays. I don't remember why originally but i had some because it was the only powder listed for a 130 gr lead bullet for a .38 and i bought 500 of them cause that'sall the funshow guy had. Nasty stuff out of a two inch model 60. Really gummy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I load for 40sw, 45acp, and 10mm.  TiteGroup for light to medium loads.  Power Pistol for stout loads.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at it this way (or not)...........

You know how women are different though, they come equipped with the same basic attributes?

Well.....it's sort of the same way with powder.

They each have their good and bad points.

You pick and test.

HTH.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look at it this way (or not)...........

You know how women are different though, they come equipped with the same basic attributes?

Well.....it's sort of the same way with powder.

They each have their good and bad points.

You pick and test.

HTH.

Aloha, Mark

I like your powder analogy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top